• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar removal

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to go ahead and do the "quick disconnects" for the front sway bar but was wondering what to do about the rear...can i just take it off and still manage to drive it on the street or is there a quick disconnect setup for the rear also(which i cant seem to find). This is not a daily driver, but does see a fair amount of time on-road between trails.

I have a 3-4" lift on my DD. I put swaybar discos on the front and just pulled the rear off. I see lots of on road driving, no towing. There is a change in handling, but I got used to it almost immeadiatly, as long as the front is connected it is still fairly well behaved. I'll also tell you it does wonders for the rear travel and the articulation over all. I say take it off, and keep it around, then you can put it back on if you don't like the handling.

I took my front, and rear sway bars off. I didn't really notice a difference with the rear off, but the front has a little bit of roll. Mine is a DD with about 6.5 inches.

Remove the rear bar and give to a Samuri owner! They seem to like them for some reason.

keep your rear sway bar mounts though. they can come in handy.

took mine off the other day while i was under it. i took a bunch of corners really fast to see how it handled, and it handles pretty much like stock. you can tell it's not there, but it's not enough to really matter. it seems to ride a little smoother without it.

Have a 3" on my 01 removed the rear swaybar did feel a difference in Handling put my trailer or my camper on really felt the difference. Im running my rear sway bar and ill keep it that way.

bowhunter said:
Have a 3" on my 01 removed the rear swaybar did feel a difference in Handling put my trailer or my camper on really felt the difference. Im running my rear sway bar and ill keep it that way.

What happened with the trailer/camper on without sway bar?

it makes the back end more prone to fishtailing.

if you are gonna do any towing at all don't take it off, i took mine off and its great, my hitch will only be used for recovery.

fumble said:
What happened with the trailer/camper on without sway bar?
The Jeeps ass end felt "washboardy" meaning it really moved side to side when turning and under heavy breaking.If your gonna tow leave it on , If your just wheelin and useing hitch as a recovery point lose it.

I Took Mime Off And There Is A Differt When Hauling A Trailer So I Put It Back On Just For The Trailer I Tow One 3 Time A Week

I'm at 6.5", took off the rear. I never towed with the rear sway bar on. I have done plenty of towing with it off though. No problems, towed some heavy stuff too. (BobCat, another XJ and a Chevrolet K5 blazer on a flat bed trailer) It handled just fine to me. Stopping is a different story.

Neil said:
I'm at 6.5", took off the rear. I never towed with the rear sway bar on. I have done plenty of towing with it off though. No problems, towed some heavy stuff too. It handled just fine to me. Stopping is a different story.
X2. JIM.

Back