• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last SYE question, i swear....

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
All i have left to do is put in the speedo gear and fill it up with fluid. Upon getting to the step where i am supposed to put the gear back into place, it says to refer back to step so and so, where it says that i was supposed to mark something, before i took it out so it would go in the same way. Well the problem is i did not mark it or anything. How do i know which way to put this thing in there. Ohhh and whjile im at it, on the rear output shaft housing where the shift rail goes in, is threaded like i need some sort of fitting to seal it off. I heard that is some sort of vaccum switch, well i had nothing of the sort originally, so how do i go about sealing this hole, if PORC sent nothing to put in there. Thanks for any and all help.

scott

You should be able to just rotate the gear into place, so that it seats properly. Make sure that you place the retainer correctly, as it should have 2 indents that the fork clamps into. Otherwise the gear will jump & move around & get tore up. Ask me how I know :sure: :doh:. Not sure about the other hole ???, but if it's not used in your app, I would just get a plug at a hardware store & use some Teflon tape.

Rob

Ok, first off, you really don't need to mark anything because its easy to find out how to position the sensor. Look on the black sensor (where the speedo gear plugs into) and you'll see numbers in ranges. Look at your speedo gear and on one side of the gear, it'll say how many teeth are on it. Find the side of the sensor that has the speedo gear tooth number in one of the ranges and those numbers need to be facing down toward the ground. Don't fret too much trying to get it aligned perfectly vertical, that "Y" looking peice with the 1/2 inch bolt will align it. Just make sure that when you put the "Y" on that it still has the numbers facing down.
speedogear8b.jpg

speedogear9.jpg

As for the plug, older versions of the transfercase had a sensor that went there. Just find a plug that is the correct size and put it in there. Just make sure it's in 4L when you screw in the plug or you may put the plug in too far, preventing you from shifting into 4L.

speedogear2.jpg

Hope this helps you. If not, go to this web site below and they might be able to clear it up for you. Hope it all works out well,
Nick

All these pictures came off of Jeepin.com at this web site http://www.jeepin.com/features/speedogear/index.asp

You should have had a plug in that hole from the factory. It should have went right back in.

HTH

Junkyard switch,it doesnt have to work,just seal the hole!

my porc kit came with an alum plug with very fine threads for that hole.
if the part of the stock shaft that the speedo gear originally rode on was say 1 inch,how could it possibly go back in in the same spot if it now rides on the porc plastic gear on the new shaft that is at least 1.25 in dia?

yeah i called them up today and they said they would send me one in the mail, for now i just have some stuff shoved in the hole and it taped shut. Other than that everything is togther, and good, now for the test drive tommorrow when i go to work, i hope i make it. Thanks for all the help.

Back