• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what shims do I need to order with my lift?

2qk4u

NAXJA Forum User
going to order my lift tommorow. 1998 Cherokee going with the RE 4.5 lift with full leafpacks. I dont really have anyway of measuring the angle and was hoping i could get away with what alot of other people have used in the same situation. i would like to order it all together. I know there is a 4 and 6 degree shim. Is there a certain one most people end up using that i might get lucky with. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

pitchfinder.jpg

http://roofgenius.com/roofangle.htm

12.99 and a tool that you will use more than you think.

you could even mount it to your dash and know what angle you are at off road!

Getting an SYE as well? That's going to make a big difference on what shim is recommended since the pinion uses a different operating angle with stock or SYE. I've run 4* and 6* shims under my 4.5" RE w/an SYE and will end up remeasuring once I get it on the road again because my new SYE will lengthen the driveline slightly.

Measure, measure, measure...you may have local buddies with a spare of one, so order the other and work it out between the two of you if you end up needing the ones he has.

Yucca-Man said:
Getting an SYE as well? That's going to make a big difference on what shim is recommended since the pinion uses a different operating angle with stock or SYE. I've run 4* and 6* shims under my 4.5" RE w/an SYE and will end up remeasuring once I get it on the road again because my new SYE will lengthen the driveline slightly.

Measure, measure, measure...you may have local buddies with a spare of one, so order the other and work it out between the two of you if you end up needing the ones he has.

i thought the PORC unit was shorter than the H+T

am i mistaken?

The PORC is shorter than the H+T (I should have measured before and after), therefore my driveline will be slightly longer and the operating angles slightly less. Granted, I should have said driveshaft instead of driveline to avoid cornfusion.

If it helps, im getting a H&T and a RE driveshaft. anyone ever run this setup and what shims have you used? just would like to be in the ball park so i dont have to wait for anything when i put my lift on.

2qk4u said:
If it helps, im getting a H&T and a RE driveshaft. anyone ever run this setup and what shims have you used? just would like to be in the ball park so i dont have to wait for anything when i put my lift on.

2* 4* 6* - Not much of a ballpark there. If we tell you 2* and you need a 6* then you'll be waiting for something now won't you. Just measure after you get it done. With a SYE, a shim isn't gonna keep you from driving. And if it does, leave the shaft off and drive in four for a few days while you wait for the right shim..........:lecture:

Back