• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sierra rock control

jeepboy_90

NAXJA Forum User
Any one have this Long Arm kit on there XJ?
Company is out of Chico, Ca looks like a nice set up. Not sure on that low T-case. Please give me any info or pictures.

My good buddy has the ZJ version of this kit on his rig, and I've got a good amount of hands on wheeling with it, and was present for/assisted with a good deal of the installation of it. I know its a ZJ, however the kit is almost identical aside from the fact is has 4 more links off the back of the crossmember.

The "company" is a young guy named Ty who is a college student putting these out on the side. He builds damn good stuff, but is sometimes hard to keep in sync with. Understandably so though. He puts a lot of time into the kits, and for the most part, it shows. They are overbuilt and hell for stout. Good luck breaking any of his parts. The kit that went on our local built ZJ was a bit off for fitment in some spots, but wasnt too tough to massage to fit correctly. As of a couple months ago, he had only actually produced about a half dozen kits, and a few were more of a prototype than actual production.

As mentioned, a little bit of work was required to fit the kit such as drilling/clearancing some holes to make pieces line up. The hardest part was in fitting the front LCA's. The uppers mount off them in a radius arm style (like RE, Fabtech, etc) and the mounts were a little off in their fitment to the arms. The brackets had to be cut, and rotated inward just a little to get the uppers to line up correctly with the mounts on the front axle. However, that WAS a kit that was shipped out a couple months ago and that issue was brought to his attention and may well have been cured by now.

All in all, its a damn stout kit and is very affordable for how durable it is. You'd be hardpressed to damage the crossmember, bellypan, arms or any portion. It wont ramp a thousand on the RTI, but does flex pretty well with the correct length shocks and brakelines. The pan does hang down a bit low, but I personally believe it is worth it. You may lose an inch to an inch and a half on breakover, but for the amount of steel that is under there, and for as stout as it is, I'd rather have it than some of the "higher clearance" kits that arent nearly as rock-draggable.

Of course, this is a 4 linked ZJ, so your results will differ, however you can judge the front end flex some...
206-2.jpg

If I was going to build another XJ that was going to see nasty rocks day in and day out, this is the kit I'd go for. Hope that helps!!!

Nolan

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... :D Like Machine says, it comes with frame sleeves that run all the way back to the spring hangers. They are U channel that is, IIRC, about an .120" thick. (give or take)

Wow, i don't post here much but i glanced today and was suprised to see a Rock Control thread. I've known Ty for quite a few years and was around when he was designing and building the kit for his ZJ. I have the original XJ prototype kit on my '92 and have personally installed 3 XJ kits. The kits are stout as hell (and heavy as hell), all the steel is 1/4" including the channels that run down the frame. As for them hanging too low the belly skid is only about 1" lower than the transfercase hangs in its factory location. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about ground clearance. I have some shots of the in action on a couple trucks, including some pics of Ty's rig ramping about 900 with the limit straps on.

However i'm pretty sure he won't be manufacturing any kits anytime soon, if ever again. When Ty announced kits were available for sale he got swamped. He's a one man crew working nights in a 700 sq ft shop; even more than one kit at a time was overwhelming. I don't know all the details but to make a long story short, kits took a long time to process, some customers got pissed off, some shit talking happened and Ty stopped filling orders. For now he's just using the shop to help some of our buddies build thier trucks and retiring the idea of manufacturing.

Arctic XJ, glad to hear your buddies kit is working for him, if anyone has any more questions lemme know,

Brian

Well, as much as you concurr with my findings, RockControlXJ, I'll have to comment on the frame sleeves. Yours may differ, but both of the only 2 kits that Ty shipped up here to Alaska had frame sleeves of nowhere near 1/4". I'll reiterate that they were roughly half that wall thickness, closer to what I would estimate at .120". Nonetheless, its a shame he wont be able to handle the workload and get his efficiency rolling. Its understandable. However, if something changes, there is certainly a niche for SRC in the market for the hardcore wheeler. I think a lot of money stands to be made. I know he wasnt making much of a profit originally, but once you get your manufacturing and assembly up to speed, the skys the limit.

Back