• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

abs master cylinder in 91xj

ttms91xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have the master cylinder in my 91 xj going bad. i work at an autoparts store here in mi, and can't find a listing in our books or computers that list it. is this something that i can only order through jeep, or am i missing something? there are three lines that run out of the master cylinder, and the resivoir(sp) is made of plastic that sits on top of the cylinder. thanks for the help!!

we looked for another year, but the 92+ master cylinders are different designs(where the ports are located and such) also, on those cylinders there are only two side ports, not three. since this is the bendix abs system, is there any eccentricies i need to know about?

that's weird as hell, i can't find the one you're looking for online. i can find one for w/o abs all day long. call napa.
icon12.gif

If it is the bendix 9 syst then the abs modulator is integrated into the bottom half of the mastercylinder. Consequently you probalby need the whole modulator control module. Check the listing for 89 - 91 xjs w. abs under abs control module vs. master cylinder. That would explain why no master cylinder is listed. Also jeep issued a lifetime warranty on that part which would clearly apply if the modulator part of it is bad and perhaps if the mastercylinder part is bad. You will have to take it to the jeep dealer however. It was recall 702. Note that the lifetime warranty also applies to the abs pump motor on the passenger side under the plastic radiator expansion tank/filler at bulkhead. My only doubt is that the bendix 9 abs sys was from 89 to 90 or 91 not sure. If you have it you will know since the abs actuator/modulator is not separate from the master cylinder like in later models.

Good Luck. Greg

Last edited:
Bendix 9 was only available to us lucky few from 1989 to 1991. :(

The master cylinder (actuator) assembly is under a lifetime recall as mentioned earlier and is virtually a dealer only part. They should replace it for no cost.

Another thing to look at is the pressure accumulator to the passenger side of the actuator. It's the black ball. It's not covered by the recall and is about $55 IIRC. The pressure can leak down from that causing the pump to run more often.

Give us some idea of what the system is doing and we'll try to diagnose it a little tighter.

Last edited:
Back