• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP.. with torque converter bolt up

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
HELP.. with torque converter bolt up, anyone with a FSM help

I just pulled and replaced the motor in a 90 and now that the motor is bolted back in, how do I get the torque converter to turn so that I can line up the bolt holes with the flexplate?? With that daym tone ring on the flex plate I cant reach behind it and and even touch/fell the converter.

Help....

PS I knwo this is posted in three forums but I really need help by tomorrow morning as I want to finish this up tomorrow so help me if ya can

If you have FSM for any year can you please see how it rec. that I get them lined up???

Last edited:
Can you reach through the starter hole to turn anything? Thanks for giving me another thing to think about if/when this tranny parts and PORC install ever comes to a conclusion. :D

I got some M10x1.5 allthread, and cut a set of studs about an inch long. Install them in the holes - you've got handles! They also make it easier to line up the bolt holes to the flexplate - and you'll be able to pull them easily to replace them with bolts when you get there.

If you're stuck, I think I still have a piece of M10x1.5 allthread that I can make another set or two of studs from - let me know. Call it $10 shipped Priority, if I've got them. (Metric allthread isn't the easiest stuff in the world to find... But I've got a local source.)

5-90

well there is no way to reach around in the starter hole cause the most you can feel is the tone ring for the crank sensor.

As for the all tread that would be fine and dandy but the motor is in and half the items are kinda on and connected now.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THAT, IF i PUT THE TRANNY IN GEAR AND TURN THE DRIVE SHAFT WILL IT TURN THE CONVERTER. I have to think not since its a fan engaged with fluid force, but I have to ask....

So, if I understand this correctly, you have the engine and tranny bolted together in the vehicle, and you're trying to turn the torque converter to line it up with the holes in the flexplate? Why not do it the other way around, and turn the engine to line up the flexplate with the torque converter?

A breaker bar and socket on the front crank pulley bolt should do just fine for turning the engine...

Back