• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rearview mirror fell off, gonna get a new one

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I actually thought it was funny, lol, i got in my jeep today to go to class and the mirro was sitting in the cupholder.

Anyway, i've started looking at auto-dimming rear view mirrors on ebay and they're cheap enough.........

I found a couple zj auto dimming mirrors that look good, but all the mirrors on ebay have 4-6 pin connectors on them. What is the purpose of that many connectors for a simple mirror without a compass, temp., etc.???

Last edited:
The ZJ mirror i put in my DD had a 3 pin connector ( or possibly 4, i'll check when i go out to the parking garage) with 6 inches of wire to the cut off. one of the pins was pos, one was neg, and i dunno what the other was for but mine functions exactly as it should with only the positive and ground hooked up.

Save your money. I had one in the ill-fated WJ. There was no perceptable difference between dimmed and normal. As far as I am concerned, the thing was totally useless.

well actually i was looking at retrofitting one from a cadillac or a jimmy/blazer

i would imagine one from a cadillac would work well

Why would you imagine that a Caddy mirror would work any better than a Jeep mirror?

Fred85 said:
well actually i was looking at retrofitting one from a cadillac or a jimmy/blazer

i would imagine one from a cadillac would work well
Be carfull there, some of those are run by the ECU and also have external light sensors.

well the caddy one is off like a 93 and it also has 3 pins for the connector, so i'm assuming it's not connected to the ecu

well with caddys being luxury cars, something in my mind tells me the auto-dim mirrors would work well on those........idk

Don't bother. Mom has one, totally useless POS. On a 12 or so yr/old Mercedes. You wind up moving the mirror manually, its one of those electronic devices engineered into cars these days that serve to expand the number of possible things to go wrong without providing benefit to non-lazy people.

Anyway, mine fell and broke so youre lucky because I wansn't satisfied with the narrow width of all the aftermarket ones I saw and I went to the dealership ($$$) Just get the new stick on glue thats $1.99.

if shopping for glue, don't buy the double sided tape thingy, get the clear liquid/gel and follow the instructions to the T.

As far as the autodim issue goes, I personally like being able to SEE something at night in the rearview besides 2 floating headlights. I guess i grew up driving luxury cars, so it's something i noticed when i didnt have it.

I got my zj autodim off ebay for like 12 shipped. I probably wouldnt pay more than 20 for one though.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but if I remember correctly, the ground is black. I just took my booster pack and tried wire combos until the green autodim on/off button lit up (the button onthe bottom of the mirror that replaced the day/night switch) and tested the dimming function with a flashlight.

In the ZJ mirror, the light sensor is built in, front and rear, and it deffinitely works as designed in my vehicle.

Yeah get the liquid drops. It has a liquid and a catylist, made by Permatex or its seems to always be next to their stuff (gasket sealer, etc). You need to get both surfaces really clean and rough up the metal part with fine sandpaper. Oh, make a mark on the outside of the glass where the old mirror was.

I guess do what you want don't let others decide what not to install. Do weigh the advantages/disadvantages though. I find those autodimmers flawed. I also hate electrical windows but some people won't drive without them so...Decide for yourself.

thanks for all the help fellas

i bid on a zj mirror on ebay for $10, i guess it's worth a shot..........if it's not what i expected i'll put the stocker back on

i was thinking of wiring the pos and neg to the cigarette lighter, any problems with that?

Fred85 said:
thanks for all the help fellas

i bid on a zj mirror on ebay for $10, i guess it's worth a shot..........if it's not what i expected i'll put the stocker back on

i was thinking of wiring the pos and neg to the cigarette lighter, any problems with that?
That should be ok, just add a small 1amp inline fuse to protect the Mirror and wiring.

i finally got a new mirror, an autodim mirror from a 1996 Chrysler LHS, so i figured i'd revive this thread. Got it on eBay for $26 shipped with the wiring connector and a 6" pigtail of wiring on it.

Anyway, i dont know why i didn't think of this before, but couldn't i just run the + wire down to the fuse box in the passenger kickpanel into a spare fuse slot??

Fred85 said:
i finally got a new mirror, an autodim mirror from a 1996 Chrysler LHS, so i figured i'd revive this thread. Got it on eBay for $26 shipped with the wiring connector and a 6" pigtail of wiring on it.

Anyway, i dont know why i didn't think of this before, but couldn't i just run the + wire down to the fuse box in the passenger kickpanel into a spare fuse slot??
My passenger side sun visor has power to it for the lighted makeup mirror so I connected mine there.

Picked up a ZJ mirror with two map lights in it, three wires, hot, ground and door switch if wanted, cost $5....probably going to hook it up today when I'm putting my cell phone hardwire kit in since I will have a bunch of trim and such removed while I run the speaker, mic and other cables.

Back