• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Must......get..more.......lift

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
I just got the RE4.5 lift not too long ago
and now that i look at it.........i need more

What is the cheapest way to get some more lift

My goal is to get rid of my 32 and put 35s on it
..................maybe

lockers 1 day

hear are some pics
...........god i look like a poser

do57k8.jpg

do5aoj.jpg

Add a 2" bb, and new control arms. Your front axle will be pulled back too far if you leave the control arms from RE on, and your upper arms will also need to be replaced. I did the same thing as you, so I'm just letting you know what I had to do in order to fit 34's.

What 2" bb? from RE im guessing?
i was thinking about more........more than 2".....maybe
and what control arms did you use?

Last edited:
coil spacers, longer shackle (and maybe a lift block, depending on how your rig sits), and you're there.

2 more inches MAY not make you require new control arms

but - devil's advocate here - your money would be MUCH better spent on lockers, unless you're just going for looks.

Dookie said:
coil spacers, longer shackle (and maybe a lift block, depending on how your rig sits), and you're there.

but - devil's advocate here - your money would be MUCH better spent on lockers, unless you're just going for looks.
Well, I started with a 4.5" lift that came with new lower arms, but once I added 2" spacers, I started getting vibes.

As for control arms, I used some old tomken machine control arms. They came off of an 87 cherokee that had one of the first lift kits ever developed for a cherokee, and they've held up this far, so I'm all set.

If you want to run 35's and have it functional,then you need a sawzall!!

Your at the point of a major cash spendage, to make a nice dd/off-road rig. Once you get over the 4.5" range, your going to need alot more than UCA's and LCA's.

I went about it the same way, started with 3"s and 31's, then to 4.5"es and 32's, then 6"s... I got up to 10.5"s, and finally settled on 7.5 to 8"es with 35's.

I wanted a dd, that would ride and handle very well on the road. Then be able to drive it to a trail, and abuse the hell out of it, and still be able to drive it home. (now I know my abuse is nothing like the west coast gangs idea of abuse)BUT... I went the long route, over 5 years and spent alot of cash to get the XJ right. I ended up selling it because a dd, and off-road vehicle meant two trucks for me. I just couldn't see abusing something I had 25 grand in.

My point is, that for 35's your going to need to decide if you want to go with long arms, or to put some adj, short arms on with RE drop brackets. Then there's steering and track-bar to think about. If it's not a mall crawler that drives like crap your looking for, then you'll need to decide if the type of trail riding your going to do is going to require some stonger axles, like D-44's , Ford 9, or D60's even. If your thinking lockers, auto lockers or ARB's, you'll want an SYE, different drive-shaft for the rear, gears, extended brake lines, lock-out hubs... on and on. So... your kind of standing at the edge of a cliff right now.

Do alot of research, there is a lot of info on this board. I think 4.5 with 32's is great with some lockers. You'r still going to need to trim your fenders more. Throw some TJ flares on there, and cut those fenders out for some 33's if you have to.

that's my advice with 5 years experience on a '96 xj.

Gil BullyKatz said:
yep, you are at a good height now for them really. or add the BB and some drop brackets so you can keep your control arms as is. but you will still have to cut.

Lou said:
Damn you for posting a pic with snow in it.

Being from Ohio, didnyaw get enough of it last winter ? Sheesh.

lol.......Hell no......ill never get enough winter..........its the SALT i hate....its evil ill tell ya

xjj33p3r said:
Well, I started with a 4.5" lift that came with new lower arms, but once I added 2" spacers, I started getting vibes.

As for control arms, I used some old tomken machine control arms. They came off of an 87 cherokee that had one of the first lift kits ever developed for a cherokee, and they've held up this far, so I'm all set.

Im sorry, but how did you start getting vibs once you added the 2" spacers? For some reason i dont understand how you got the vibs.

Also, what size lift did the control arms come off of?

Dookie said:

Yea.......i was thinking this would be alot cheaper

Actualy i really do have the money to buy the lockers
But i also want more lift too
I just spent alot money on this lift i got, and i reallllly dont wont to spend too much more just to get more lift.

xjaddiction said:
If it's not a mall crawler that drives like crap your looking for, then you'll need to decide if the type of trail riding your going to do is going to require some stonger axles, like D-44's , Ford 9, or D60's even. If your thinking lockers, auto lockers or ARB's, you'll want an SYE, different drive-shaft for the rear, gears, extended brake lines, lock-out hubs... on and on.

i got the AA SYE and cv-drive shaft, Gears.......yea....when i get the lockers, i got the extended brake lines, lock-out hubs.....aaaa...ummm.......what?(sry still learning)
AND im hopeing to put a ford 9", or if i can get a 44 cheap

I also believe that there is a point here that some are missing... The RE 4.5" kit consists of 4.5in front coils, 3.5in rear leafs, and a 1" longer shackle... How would a BB be suggested for this?

C85D4x4 said:
i got the AA SYE and cv-drive shaft, Gears.......yea....when i get the lockers, i got the extended brake lines, lock-out hubs.....aaaa...ummm.......what?(sry still learning)
AND im hopeing to put a ford 9", or if i can get a 44 cheap
lockout hubs disconnect your front hubs from your front axle shafts. check out the kit warn makes. and the only decent way to add " to the kit you mentioned is to get bigger leaves or blocks. . .

muddygp said:
and the only decent way to add " to the kit you mentioned is to get bigger leaves or blocks. . .
I wouldn't call adding blocks a decent way to add lift. It will work, but not the best solution...

I'd just do like Kejtar said...

you must be a fawktard...

everyone here says you dont need more lift - and you are going to...

why should i be inclined to help you?

C85D4x4 said:
I just got the RE4.5 lift not too long ago
and now that i look at it.........i need more

...........god i look like a poser.
Its 'cause you are a poser. :looser: I think it needs a snorkle...

XJ_ranger said:
you must be a fawktard...

everyone here says you dont need more lift - and you are going to...

why should i be inclined to help you?

Wow.....fawktard......sheeesh

I just asked how to do something that I would like to do.
You dont have to help me if you dont want, that is really all up to you.
Also
Its fine to tell me if i should do it or not, its everyone opinion,
and i have in the past received your opinions, and they have helped me alot

But, name calling is truly not necessary

ArcticXJ said:
Its 'cause you are a poser. :looser: I think it needs a snorkle...

Snorkle!!!...............now thats an idea! lol

Come on.....
you cant just call me a poser from all of what you seen HERE

But that also depends on how you define the word "poser"
I define it as someone that
"wants to be something or acts like someone there not"

the only pics you have seen are the 1s that i took right after the lift was put on
That was 9 mouths ago!

Since then I have broke steering linkage, when through a steering box, broke u-joints, tore off my fender flares, bent in a dif cover and my trans cross mount, snapped off a tow hook, got some pin stripeing down the side, busted my left turn sig, and im still pulling out mud from places, and actually "Needed" to use my winch,
(I know some of you would say “well who hasn’t had that stuff happen”, im just trying to make a point)

If you cant judge a book by its cover
You cant judge by the way some 1 looks

And if this is not good enough, then YES….by the way you define it, im a poser!

Last edited:
C85D4x4 said:
Wow.....fawktard......sheeesh

I just asked how to do something that I would like to do.
You dont have to help me if you dont want, that is really all up to you.
The idea is that you must not get more lift. There are other things that you should consider addressing before getting more lift as the step you want to take is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig step and should not be taken till you take care of them.

Since then I have broke steering linkage, when through a steering box, broke u-joints, tore off my fender flares, bent in a dif cover and my trans cross mount, snapped off a tow hook, got some pin stripeing down the side, busted my left turn sig, and im still pulling out mud from places, and actually "Needed" to use my winch,
(I know some of you would say “well who hasn’t had that stuff happen”, im just trying to make a point)
So what have yo udone to adress those problems? Do you have better shafts and ujoints? better steering? diff cover? new trans mount? better tow points? (the snapped tow hook is just scaring me to think about it! Those things can KILL).
ANyways, you got 32's now and you want to get 35's. If you broke all that if with 32's what will happen when yo uget 35's? I run 33's now and as much as I'm dreaming about 35's I don't think I'm ready for them and I already have the gears and lockers in place, the suspension more or less (ok, no cracks about the tweaked LCA mount, that will be addressed this weekend) is there but my steering linkage needs improvement, my brakes will need improvement (with 35's you better have thought about addressing braking!!). So I guess that's about all that everyone is trying to tell you.

Back