• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$2.99 alignment tool from HF

jonboy

NAXJA Forum User
I installed RE drop brackets and new springs yesterday and needed to get the caster somewhat back to normal. After fumbling with a level and protractor last night, I decided to go to the local Harbor Freight store this morning and found this magnetic angle finder on sale for $2.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34214

Using this and GoJeep's tech-tips made my home alignment job, bonehead-simple.

I installed the DB's using the recommended CA lengths from the chart on Yucca Man's site and had no wobble, but the steering would not return to center on its own. Turns out this was because caster was only 1 degree with those CA lengths.

Now with 6" lift, 16" LCA's and 15 1/8" UCA's, I've got 4-4.5 degrees of caster, a decent pinion angle and it steers normally again.

the only prob with those is there a little jumpy spend a few more dollars and get a nice one

Yup, there okay for the price... I had used mine not even 3 times, my friend dropped it from ~2 ft. onto concrete and the magnet fell out... Not a big deal, but ya get what ya pay for....

Will.

I purchased one last week from the local hardware store.
Mayes Angle finder --Mays Brothers Tool Mfg. Co. Johnson City TN. 37601
Model M 700 10156 They are a divison of Gerat Neck Saw MFG co.
Only paid $12.00 It,s about 4" in diameter with a 3" scale/magnet on one side,easy to read and it stuck just fine on the rear and DS
Don,t know if they have a web site or dealers "down under" but it is much better than those e-bay tools.
Wayne

The Great Neck web site has the info on this, but I can,t make it find the above level.

Last edited:
I bought an angle finder from Snap-On for about $15 that looks alot like the one HF sells. The boss let me use it on airplanes to check control surface travel so it should work for an at-home alignment.

Gojeep said:
What do you guys recommend as a good one for me to get? I have to have one sent over from the US as they dont sell them here.
Found a few on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Angle-Pitch-Finder_W0QQitemZ4403865763QQcategoryZ11704QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGLE-FINDER-BRAND-NEW-AND-CARDED_W0QQitemZ4403181713QQcategoryZ20766QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Either any good or just junk?

Gojeep - The first ebay one is the one I just bought at Harbor Freight , the 2nd one looks to be the same, but with centimeter scale instead of inches - prolly made in the same Chinese prison factory. Oh, and thanks for having all the cool tech tips on your web site :kissyou: they've come in handy a few times.

I'm perfectly happy with my cheapy angle finder. The dial is about 4" dia, the bases are 3.5" and 3", it works smoothly and was accurate when I checked it with a level and protractor before using.

I think this is a good instance for using a cheap "tool" since I don't mess with my lift height very often and we're not talking about aligning road race cars where I might "feel" a one degree variance.

Thanks for the replies guys. The only thing about the second one is they dont mention if it has a magnetic base or not. I emailed them yesterday about it but no reply yet.

Back