• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconnecting fuel line.

snacob14

NAXJA Forum User
how do i remove the gas line that connects to the fuel rail on my 98 xj. looks like it should just pop off but i dont' want to break it. there was a press on bracked on it so i popped it off now do i just yank it off or is there a special way to take it off

first, release the pressure in the line, at the test port(looks like a tire valve) on the fuel rail. the connections are quick connect, they have two tabs to press in, then it should come loose easily.

keep in mind that after you disconnect the line you will need yo get new o-rings from the dealer to keep your rig from burning to the ground.
They are $10.00 and come with a special applicator sort of like a tampon....uhhhh,I can hear the jokes coming.

If your 98 is anything like my 96 there is a snap on safety clip retainer on the outside and inside the connection itself there is another lock/retainer clip with four expanding clips/tabs. Pushing all four tabs inword towards the hardline and disconnecting the coupling is almost impossible. There may be a help tool for this. I made my own with a piece of plastic tubing an inch or so long (with the ID of the plastic close to the OD of the hardline), cutting lengthwise putting it around the metal part of the line and pushing it into the coupling, pushed the locking tabs in, allowing me to disconnect it.
The old style had two visible plastic tabs, that could be sqeezed together by hand, the 96 has four tabs, deeper in the coupling, that are hard to see.
Let us know what you find, little things about and tricks of specific model runs are nice to know.

Back