• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I always thought this was really dangerous, or am I an idiot?

My problem? Sorry. One of my problems? Now that the lift is done, I've got bigger tires coming and there's no way the bigger spare will fit inside the Cherokee. If you've got a bigger spare, or if you want to get the tire out of the car to free up space, there are a few ways to mount the tire externally.

Some people put the spare on the roof, either with a formal mounting system or simply with ropes. Another way is to duplicate the rare tube-frame factory style rear tire carrier which attaches to the body, either with OEM parts or with an after-market system. Because I was so pleased with the Custom 4x4 Fabrication front bumper and rocker guards, I decided to go the third way: adding a trail-tough rear bumper with an integrated tire carrier.

As long as you've got a solid tow point in the rear, a heavy steel bumper isn't really necessary. A lot of Cherokees come with a 2" tow hitch and that's a perfect place to start. Simply slip the tow strap into the opening and insert the hitch pin, making sure it goes through the eye of the strap. You'll find after your first outing, however, that the factory plastic bumper caps will be either scratched, mangled, or totally missing. An easy run on our local Garcia Ridge trail nearly totaled one bumper cap. If you're lucky, the cheap stamped bumper will last a bit longer, but not much. Seriously, the first time it catches a rock edge, it will tear apart.
I assume you mean the tow strap in the hitch? Personally I wouldnt do it, but it seems safe, if you have a good tow strap, and not the ones with the hooks at the end.

Putting the eye of the strap into the hitch receiver with the hitch pin through it is perfectly fine, no worry in doing it at all

Agreed...I do this all the time with no problems. The biggest worry is side pulls which is never a good idea no matter what you are using.

whether you do it that way or you stick in a shackle reciever the pen is gonna be taking the load. with the strap only the load will actually be spread out more.

I think you are getting confused with using the hitch ball as a hook. This is a big no-no. I have used my 3" snatch strap in my reciever slot many times. The strap loop is tight and captured and the hitch itself has a strength rating. Most tow front hooks can't say that!
Angus

I would never do this, I have seen hitch pins bend from using them like this. Cutting them out isn't a whole lot of fun......

Just buy a reciever shackle and be done with it.

The reason the pins bend is that the force is being applied roughly in the middle, an inch from the sides where the support is. With a receiver, the support is right next to the outside. While it may work on lighter loads or for a while, it definately is not optimal.

hows using a receiver shackle any different

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/images/medium/warn_shackle.jpg

Using a set-up like this distributes the load across the section of the hitch pin that it contacts. Simply sliding the hitch pin through the loop of the strap allows the strap to have more leverage on the pin. Leverage=breakage or bending....

This is just my advise from personal experience, you dont have to listen. I was just trying to save you guys some trouble.....

Billabong1416 said:
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/images/medium/warn_shackle.jpg

Using a set-up like this distributes the load across the section of the hitch pin that it contacts. Simply sliding the hitch pin through the loop of the strap allows the strap to have more leverage on the pin. Leverage=breakage or bending....

This is just my advise from personal experience, you dont have to listen. I was just trying to save you guys some trouble.....

I'm with Ramsey here. The end of my recovery strap is just as wide if not wider than the receiver shackle. It is flat all the way across the pin the same as a receiver, it's no different. The same force is being applied............ :lecture:

Just use a screwdriver.

You'll think you're the king because you've been using a pin for months and proved all the naysayers wrong, until the strap has had enough of the constant slicing from the sharp edges.
If you wanna use just the pin, then I suggest rounding off the edges of the receiver opening.

SPOBI
Yes, I'm going to take mechanical advice from two guys that are the same age as my Jeep. I've been an enginner in three professions for over 30 years, one of which being mechanical. Until you get some formal background in statics and some basic geometry, don't get carried away with giving advice based on the years of experience under your belt. Do a bit of looking up catenary curves and the stresses related.

I use the strap pinned in the receiver...The strap barely fits in the receiver so the load is spread over the whole surface. I cleaned up the edges real well.
The only time i have had strap failures were when the vehicle i had to hook to had no real place to hook to and sharp edges cut the strap.

old_man said:
Yes, I'm going to take mechanical advice from two guys that are the same age as my Jeep. I'm and enginner in three professions for over 30 years, one of which being mechanical. Until you get some formal background in statics and some basic geometry, don't get carried away with giving advice based on the years of experience under your belt. Do a bit of looking up catenary curves and the stresses related.

I have doen this hundreds of times and pulling very heavy junk ouot....the key si 5/8" pin and doubled roled tow strap ends they barely fin in the reciever. I have yet to bend mine . of course I did not buy my hitch pin at walmart either!

xjnation said:
I have doen this hundreds of times and pulling very heavy junk ouot....the key si 5/8" pin and doubled roled tow strap ends they barely fin in the reciever. I have yet to bend mine . of course I did not buy my hitch pin at walmart either!
Where?
Target?

Just yankin' yer strap.
I know you use hardened titanium from NASA.

It doesn't really matter if anyone uses the pin or not, just check your equipment and actually DON'T USE IT if it looks marginal.

91 Jeep Project said:
The same force is being applied............ :lecture:

If that's true then I'm gonna make my roll cage out of 2" nylon webbing.

Before I had the reciever shackle I used the pin in the hitch. I never bent a pin though, and went through some hard pulls. If it's all you have then go for it, but a shackle insert is sooooo much more convenient. There has to be a pic somewhere. As said before, just don't use the ball.

If we are talking pure ease, then I have hitches f&r and have a 10,000lb hitch hook in em both with the opening for the hook facing up. Kinda nice in mud to just toss the snatch loop over the hook and then pull.

As far as the pin goes, I am no engineer. All I know is that I HAVE heard of people that have bent them doing the snatch pull, I have NEVER heard of someone doing that with a hitch hook or hitch shackle.

I also went to High School with a guy that had half of his head/face taken out because someone (his dad I believe) thought that something would hold, and didn't. Ouch. He did live.

Then I ask myself, is it worth it?

Might be your noggin you save.......

Back