• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 questions

scot

NAXJA Forum User
i just got a '87. it goes into 4full time and 4 part time fine. when i put it in 4 lo i gotta drive for a min before it engauges. is this normal? second it has the towing package. did they automatically come with a d44? if not how can i tell the difference between the d35 and d44. there is no tag on it. TIA

Are you trying to shift into low range while moving? I can't think of anything about low range that would require driving to engage. It's mechanically shifted, and if you have a full-time position you don't have an axle disconnect.

Are you in Neutral? If I am not mistaken 4lo will not fully engage unless you are in neutral.

Check your linkages, crawl under there and lube them. If they are really rusty spray them with powerblaster, work the linkage a while then clean it with some brake cleaner. Then lube with either Mobil-1 spray lube or CLP Breakfree, lubing those linkages should be done every oil change, what the heck, your down there anyway.
It might also be a very good idea to change all your fluids including the transfer case fluid.
I have a 5speed in my 98 and generally all I do is come to a complete stop, keep the clutch in and drop it into 4lo, if I am moving at all it will grind a bit so I don't do that :D

If it is working consistently in 4 High (not popping in and out of 4WD), but in 4 low it is taking some time for the 4WD light to come on, you might also have a problem with the vacuum switch in the transfer case. This usually will fail first in 4 high, but you never can tell. I'd follow Rich's advice on linkages etc. first, though.

the d44 has an octoganal diff and the 35 has a round diff. i have an 87 with the tow package and it only has the 35, im kinda disappointed.

Back