• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finding my Vibration - could it be the TC?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
First off it's a 2001 Sport 4x4, 231, open 8.25, auto, I6 with only 15K.

I've been trying to narrow down the cause of a small vibration for some time now. It's not the rims or tires - both have been replaced. I notice the vibe the most at 53mph at 1900rpm. I recently tried running in 3rd at 55mph and realized the vibe is rpm related. I feel the vibe not at certain speeds, but between 1800 - 2000rpm. With this info I headed down to my Jeep dealer and asked the mechanic what he thought. Without hesitation he said it's the torque converter and it's normal. I'm having a hard time swallowing that - can anyone else venture a guess? I'm doing a BB soon and want to have this cured before I touch anything - while I'm still under warranty!

Thanks, Dave

They won't even look at it. They told me it was the torque converter and sent me on my way. A driveshaft vibration would be linked to speed correct? For it to vibrate with rpms, wouldn't it have to be engine related? Mounts or something....

DaveD912 said:
They won't even look at it. They told me it was the torque converter and sent me on my way. A driveshaft vibration would be linked to speed correct? For it to vibrate with rpms, wouldn't it have to be engine related? Mounts or something....
Yes, but what ever it is it shouldn’t be.

So even if this is the torque converter, it isn't working correctly. The only thing I have to compare with is my old Ram and when the TC locked up, you knew it.Well if the guys I went to don't care to check into it, I'll take my business elsewhere. They were trying to convice me that what I was feeling was normal for a Jeep.

Stealers get paid for warranty work don't they? I would have thought they would be keen to fix it, but then again....

Take it to another dealer and get a second opinion.

DaveD912 said:
So even if this is the torque converter, it isn't working correctly. The only thing I have to compare with is my old Ram and when the TC locked up, you knew it.Well if the guys I went to don't care to check into it, I'll take my business elsewhere. They were trying to convice me that what I was feeling was normal for a Jeep.
Did they test drive it with you?

Try this then http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp?screenName=customer&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

Last edited:
DaveD912 said:
the flex plate, torque converter housing and impeller always turn at the same RPM as the engine. When in 3rd gear, the converter turbine & stator, the tranny , driveshaft and pinion gear are also turning at engine speed.

I think you have the right idea Langer1.... I'll see how responsive the corporate office is. No, they didn't ride with me. They couldn't be bothered with me and unfortunatley I had my two sons (6mos and 2yrs) with me, so I didn't have time to stay and argue. Thanks all. I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

Back