• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help Me With Some ECU Codes

havinfun79

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I have a '97 Cherokee Auto 2WD. My step-dad was able to get the codes off the car which are PO700-Transmission Control System Malfunction & PO705-Transmission Range Sensor. Can someone help me with what these codes mean? I apprieciate any help. Thanks, Laura

havinfun79 said:
First off, I have a '97 Cherokee Auto 2WD. My step-dad was able to get the codes off the car which are PO700-Transmission Control System Malfunction & PO705-Transmission Range Sensor. Can someone help me with what these codes mean? I apprieciate any help. Thanks, Laura
It means you have a automatic transmission, and the ranger sensor is not working.
Pronunciation: "mal-'f&[ng](k)-sh&n
Function: intransitive verb
: to function imperfectly or badly : fail to operate normally
- malfunction noun

Last edited:
Thanks for the definition to malfunction-that helped a lot. basically what I'm wondering, would the sensor set off the other code?-Transmission Control System Malfunction. I can figure out the "basics" of what it means by deductive reasoning, I'm just wondering if one is linked to the other & if by replacing the sensor, would that most likely fix my problem? Also, should I go to the Jeep dealer for the part or pick one up at autozone, napa, ect.? Where is the sensor located? Thanks

havinfun79 said:
Thanks for the definition to malfunction-that helped a lot. basically what I'm wondering, would the sensor set off the other code?-Transmission Control System Malfunction. I can figure out the "basics" of what it means by deductive reasoning, I'm just wondering if one is linked to the other & if by replacing the sensor, would that most likely fix my problem? Also, should I go to the Jeep dealer for the part or pick one up at autozone, napa, ect.? Where is the sensor located? Thanks
The first code is just a general statement, the second one is where the problem is. From the questions your asking my advice would be to take it to the jeep dealer and get it looked at.
Get a quote in writing. The sensor in on the side of the transmission and may be broken or just have a bad connection. Just check all the plugs and wires on the transmission.

It's your NSS switch. Do a search for NSS...

Back