• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock location up front

geepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3 link LA kit and i just threw a hp 44 under my rig, I was planning on makeing shock mounts the axle it self but then i was told that i could mount the shocks on my lower control arms. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and how it has worked out for them and what other ideas you have tried. thanks

Depends... Are you using bushings or Johnny Joints on your lower arms? If using a Johnny Joint of some kind that it will rotate up & down every time the suspension cycles, especially on the arm without an upper attached. They will rotate to their full degree deflection with every cycle, basically bottoming out down & than up. This will wear them out fast. If you're using bushings than that would be better, but the bushings will still deflect from the forces of the shocks & that deflection with make the shocks less effective along with adding to the wear in the bushings. The only way I would recomend doing this would be if you're using a ford style "C" bushing at the axle. They off enough surface area to withstand the force of the shock well, although it's still not an ideal situation.

Matt

Back