• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody try Type "F" trans fluid?

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody try Type "F" trans fluid in thre AW4? Im running Dexron III in my '95 trans but ocasionally when it's 90+ degrees out and driving under load I get some slippage (clutches or TC). I heard that Type "F" has slightly more friction additives in it which can reduce slipping when things get hot or loaded. Or is this a rediculous idea which will ruin my trans?

Also slipping on the freeway kills gas mileage. When all is good I run at 2500rpm at 70mph (15mpg), when hot with some slipping I run at 3000rpm at 70mph (13mpg).

35's with 4.56gears and medium sized tube/fin trans cooler.

dont do it...

i run an ax-15 in the "trail rig"/DD, but the 91 that fills the driveway with the aw4 has dextron III and have no expierence with "type F" in the aw4, but have read that the wrong fluid (anything but dextron III) will cause your tranny slips to be even worse...

search around for yourself...

XJ_ranger said:
dont do it...
but have read that the wrong fluid (anything but dextron III) will cause your tranny slips to be even worse...
search around for yourself...

True...

From reviewing the tranny fluid threads on the forum, the wrong fluid seems to be ATF+3, +4 fluids. These have higher slip additives than Dexron II / III and thats the problems people run into. But the Type "F" is higher on the scale of non-slippage then both ATF+3, +4 and Dexron. It seems logical that if even Dexron III has some slipping to go up one to the Type "F". But not being familier ith Type "F" Im wondering if there are other problems that will arise or even if it will work.

Last edited:
I don't think I would try it, but..... I used to run Type F in my OLD CHEVY for the same reason...has the same friction modifiers as TRICK SHIFT, but without the price tag.

Back