• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Add a leaf question

ANDYDILL

NAXJA Forum User
ok ive got a 99 classic and i put a 3.5 rubi kit on it. i made the mistake of add-a-leaf in the rear, as soon as i put it on , the rear was still way lower than the front. i was thinking about a cheap fix for this like a 2 inch block kit from rustys with the new u-bolts it was like 50 bucks. or i could just add another leaf?? any input would be awsome

Maybe shackles? You can find them used for $35 to $75 or new from $50 and up. Get a greaseable, 3/4" to 1/5" shackle. There are many different brands out there. I am not sure what is best, but other will probably have recommendations.

I did the same thing, I bought the AAL to save $, now I am paying for it. I am purchasing 4.5" leaf packs.

Good Luck!

Robert

ANDYDILL said:
i see you have 4 inch, do you have an SYE/drive shaft??
Not currently. I do have some vibs at 40 mph and then again at 70 mph. I just bought the PORC SYE. It is sitting in my garage. I am planning on adding an inch or two, so I will definitely need the SYE.

I have been running without one for over a year with no probs.

-Robert

Sorry AndyDill, did not mean to hijack your thread. Good point though. If you add blocks (not recommended), leafs, or shackles, you may need to consider an SYE. It all depends on if you get vibes once you add the extra lift in the rear. You can also consider a t-case drop, they are way less expensive, around $25.

-Robert

Just curious - does your RE AAL have tapered, finished ends or are they just straight cuts?

The reason I ask is that I put the RE 1410 AAL's on my '99 and am sitting at about 20" (and my stock set were at 16.5"). I put the AAL in this past winter and have carried heavy weight in the back with no loss of lift.

My RE AAL ends are tapered. Someone else posted pic's of a supposed RE AAL that had unfinished ends and was complaining of no lift from them.

Just wondering if there might be a bad batch out there...

BTW - 1" T-case drop and 2.5* shims, no vibes

I currently am useing two AAL's. a 3" long and a 2" short. It is a slightly stiffer ride but I am happy with it at the moment. Will be eventually building a whole new custom pack.

If you prefer a slightly stiffer ride the second AAL will work for you. If you prefer a softer ride then the longer shackle would be better.

Michael

ANDYDILL said:
so i guess i should add a long becuase a short is what came with the kit??

Before I bought anything I would be on the phone to RE. I just checked their on-line catalogue and both their 3.5" kits are supposed to come with their LONG 2 1/2" AAL. The short AAL is designed for only a 2" lift, maybe less if your stock leafs are pretty shot.

This was the reason for my last post. The RE part #1410 leafs should have tapered ends and extend from eye to eye when placed under the main leaf of your leaf pack. If you didn't have to remove the spring clamps when installing your AAL, you definitely got the wrong part.

a short leaf came with your kit? there's your problem right there. you need to send that back and get the full-length one, as was just mentioned. short AAL's are worthless. this may be a dumb question, but are you SURE it's a short leaf?

Back