• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Inner Axle Seal

slvr98svt

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Yukon master install kit for my rear Waggy D44. When I disassemble it, where the inner axle seal should have been was just silicone, now in the Yukon kit there are 2 green seals. However they are about a 1/4" to big in diameter to fit into the axle tube. Is there a possibility they are the wrong seal, do I force them in, or do I just cone then up like they were?
Thanks for the help,
-Matt

slvr98svt said:
I bought a Yukon master install kit for my rear Waggy D44. When I disassemble it, where the inner axle seal should have been was just silicone, now in the Yukon kit there are 2 green seals. However they are about a 1/4" to big in diameter to fit into the axle tube. Is there a possibility they are the wrong seal, do I force them in, or do I just cone then up like they were?
Thanks for the help,
-Matt
Are you sure they don't go in the bearing retainer plate?

No, I had to order the outer axle bearings and seals seperatly. Im pretty sure that these are the inner as they look the same as the ones in the front 44 however they just seem to big to fit into the tube.
-Matt

slvr98svt said:
No, I had to order the outer axle bearings and seals seperatly. Im pretty sure that these are the inner as they look the same as the ones in the front 44 however they just seem to big to fit into the tube.
-Matt

Do ya suppose that "Master Install Kit" might have included inner seals for the front tubes?

I am 99.9% sure that you don't want to seal off the gear oil from reaching the outter (wheel) bearings on a semi-float axle. Keep in mind that the only thing holding the wheel/drum/axleshaft in there -on a non c-clip axe- is an intact bearing & the retainer plate. When the bearing goes supernova -due to heat from not seeing lube- BIG problems will crop up.

woody said:
Do ya suppose that "Master Install Kit" might have included inner seals for the front tubes?

I am 99.9% sure that you don't want to seal off the gear oil from reaching the outter (wheel) bearings on a semi-float axle. Keep in mind that the only thing holding the wheel/drum/axleshaft in there -on a non c-clip axe- is an intact bearing & the retainer plate. When the bearing goes supernova -due to heat from not seeing lube- BIG problems will crop up.
I got one apart right now and there are inner and outer seals, I'll post pictures. Pack the rear with grease just like the front.

woody said:

I am 99.9% sure that you don't want to seal off the gear oil from reaching the outter (wheel) bearings on a semi-float axle.

You see now that is kind of what i thought. Being as it was that there was no seal in there in the first place. However since it is a "Master Kit" they just throw the stuff in there for either tube. You are probably right because my dad brought up the exact same question.

Who has put some rear D44 together? Did you put a inner seal in when you redid it?
Thanks,
-Matt

Yes put it in and pack the bearings.

dana_Light_Axle_rear.jpg

Back