• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which flowmaster?

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
On monday morning, I'm getting my exhaust redone because I need my CAT replaced, so I'm just going all out, because the guy is reasonable, and he's going to do a CAT back duel flow exhaust with one CAT one muffler and a Y pipe to split into two tail pipes... I figure I want my truck loud and sounding nice, so a 40 series Flowmaster seems like the way to go, but apparently I was informed by the different configurations of them, I don't know what to tell the dealer for specs, because I am bringing my own muffler to the guy who's doing the exhaust, and he's just using a standard cat... please let me know any imput on the exhaust, flowmasters, or anything else... thanks

If you want loud and droooonnning at cruise, get the flowmaster. I had a series 40 and liked it at first, but the droning at cruise speeds on the highway started to get annoying. I don't like to yell at my passengers to communicate.

It got much worse after the stroker install, so I switched to a 18" Magnaflow. Much mellower and deeper note but still loud enough at WOT.

Why not change to a highflow cat while your at it?

K

Last edited:
ChandlerXJ said:
On monday morning, I'm getting my exhaust redone because I need my CAT replaced, so I'm just going all out, because the guy is reasonable, and he's going to do a CAT back duel flow exhaust with one CAT one muffler and a Y pipe to split into two tail pipes... I figure I want my truck loud and sounding nice, so a 40 series Flowmaster seems like the way to go, but apparently I was informed by the different configurations of them, I don't know what to tell the dealer for specs, because I am bringing my own muffler to the guy who's doing the exhaust, and he's just using a standard cat... please let me know any imput on the exhaust, flowmasters, or anything else... thanks

40 series flowmaster is good if you like loud. If you want a good rumble but not annoying at highway speeds ask for a 3-stage flomaster. It is a little longer and has 1 more baffle in to control noise.

High flow cats are bull. I worked for an exhaust for awhilw and we prefabbed high flow cats for Rod Millen Motorsports, and they were just are stock replacements with flanges welded in for direct bolt up. When I asked about this my boss told me most all aftermarket cats have the same honeycomb material inside, high flow or not. Performance gains after changing cats is because the new cat hasn't trapped anything inside of it yet, causing a restriction. It is like changing your air filter. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

I just had a 40 series put on my '96 this week. I kept my stock pipes and just got the muffler. It sounds nice, but I wanted it a lil' louder. It seems to almost just not make noise sometimes and then other times it sounds like a muscle car...

Must be my shi-teh CAT, which is being replaced next week. :D

Basically - go for the 40 series Delta Flow.

My muffler is going. Does it buy you anything to go to a 2.5 dia pipe?
My XJ is stock and I'm not a spring chicken anymore, I'd like it quiet, but still want to maximise HP. Thoughts on this?

viperbaron said:
My muffler is going. Does it buy you anything to go to a 2.5 dia pipe?
My XJ is stock and I'm not a spring chicken anymore, I'd like it quiet, but still want to maximise HP. Thoughts on this?

If you go too big on the pipes or get too much flow, you'll get bad backpressure which can cause your engine to run lean and gum up the fuel injectors... but on just a lil' 4L and slightly larger pipes, it may not be a problem... if all else fails, get the CPU reprogrammed...

i had a 40 series on my xj 2months ago, with a high flow cat and 2.5 inch pipes(stock on my '00 anyway). it sounded fine, but a little too much resonance inside for me. i bought a super 40 series, which i believe is a 2 chamber delta series for 65 bucks and had that put in. it is way quieter inside, but louder out back. i was surprised at first how loud (and good) everyone said it was behind me. i just like the fact its quieter inside than the standard 40 series.
anyone with a 4.0 or bigger would be happy with a super 40 flowmaster.

hasta :speepin: hasta :speepin: hasta :speepin: hasta :speepin: hasta

Back