• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Transmission Or Lift?????

rockcrawler873

NAXJA Forum User
Hows it goin? ive got a Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 86' V6 2.8L. Im 17 and ive worked all summer so that i can get a Rustys Off Road 6.5" lift with 33x12.50s.Here latley ive noticed that my transmission is gettin weaker and that 2 of my cylinders have a low compression. Im really torn as to what to do right now i have the money for the lift kit and wheels and tires but, not for the transmission and engine work. I know that the transmission is important but my question is this.

-Do you think i will be ok if i fix the transmission and then put the lift on knowing that the compression is low?

-About the lift kit how does a 6.5" with 33x12.50s look? ive never seen one in person and im wondering if its worth the money that will be spent for it? And if it looks nice and will "turn heads" lol.

if anyont can help me i would greatly appriciate it im sorry if this was confusing but if your have any ?s about what was typed PLEASE e mail me at [email protected] thanx again
keep it real
---Chris

rockcrawler873 said:
Hows it goin? ive got a Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 86' V6 2.8L. Im 17 and ive worked all summer so that i can get a Rustys Off Road 6.5" lift with 33x12.50s.Here latley ive noticed that my transmission is gettin weaker and that 2 of my cylinders have a low compression. Im really torn as to what to do right now i have the money for the lift kit and wheels and tires but, not for the transmission and engine work. I know that the transmission is important but my question is this.

-Do you think i will be ok if i fix the transmission and then put the lift on knowing that the compression is low?

-About the lift kit how does a 6.5" with 33x12.50s look? ive never seen one in person and im wondering if its worth the money that will be spent for it? And if it looks nice and will "turn heads" lol.

if anyont can help me i would greatly appriciate it im sorry if this was confusing but if your have any ?s about what was typed PLEASE e mail me at [email protected] thanx again
keep it real
---Chris

Firstly, it is my opinion that you should fix any mechanical problems before moving on to the play things. If your Jeep isn't working properly, how can you enjoy the lift?

Second - that lift would seem a lil' tall to me for what you want. If you're not afraid to cut, then trim up your fenders and you can fit 33's on a 3" lift. Plus, with the money you've saved, you can probly fix the tranny. :D

Hope that helps...

EDIT: If you're looking for pics, check out www.xjdb.com - They have TONS of XJ/MJ pics.

Last edited:
personaly, i would sell that XJ, buy another with a running 4.0 and a better tranny for about the same cost (find one that a grandma drove everywhere and was never off road and one that they are dumping for $500-1000 or so)

then put the lift on that one...

maybe get a budget boost for now and save again for the big lift

buy some used tires off of Pirate for 1/2 cost and get some 31's for while you are on the budget boost and some 34's with the 6" lift...

I'd be leery of the 2.8 most of all... the tranny is common, easily rebuilt, and pretty stout.

Consider how attached you are to the rig? Look at it underneath the front... does it have rubber boots (CV axles) between the steering knuckles and the axle housing, or normal u-joints? Is the front driveshaft a double-cardan (2 UJs in front of a bolt-on yoke) up at the transfer case or a single joint?

The late-model camaro/firebird 3.4 V6 is a fairly easy swap if you are attached... or the rig is exceptionally clean.

If not I'd send it to the next lucky folks, and find a 89+ 4.0 model to put money into.

<edit> XJ ranger nailed it while I was pondering a 2.8 LOL

^ ditto.

and 6.5 will stick that axle out far enough to make 35's fit easily (maybe with rubbin off the road. (but some time spent with a cutting disc will remedy that!)

honestly though, the amount of stress that will be placed on that trans with the high lift and tire combo will amount to its impending DOOM!!!

and since you say the engines not to hot either how do you expect to keep that thing rollin on, especially on the trail man.

plus, with the devil being in all the details - you'll find more and more problems with that rig as you drive it, post lifting.

so sell it or swap it would be my vote

plus, a 95 with the 4.0 HO would be a better rig to work into a showboy/trail dancer, sortof like the other guy said.

plus you'll find more options more easily for the newer rigs.

Buy a 1992+ XJ wit hHO 4.0L and AW4 tranny. Hell you can get a '97 with 125k on it for $3k.

I'm with the others that say sell your XJ and buy a newer one, with a 4.0 High-output, and an AW-4 Auto, with an 8.25 rear-end, instead of the Dana 35 (search for pics, and info on this). Forget the lift until you have a good mechanically sound XJ. Then search on this board for advice on lifts. You can trim, add flares like TJ's for little cost, Budget Boost (find here in for sale section), run some 33's, that's just an example. Then work again next summer for the bigger lift if you still need it.

Search... tons of info on here about various lifts, with pics in the reader rides section. Also check out http://www.xjdb.com/ for lots of pics.
Puma297 said:
might also be a 8.25, this pic is a good reference for identifying axles.

00047745.jpg

straight from www.mallcrawlin.com

Here are some pics of various Difs including the 8.25.

Sound XJ first, then lift.

Last edited:
To everyone that has replied to my quetionr i really appriciate it!! when yall talk about sellin it to get a 4.0 will my 2.8 not be strong enough? i love my jeep and would hate to get rid of it but.. thats where everyone comes n im totally open for adivse and will listen so.... if anyone know of a jeep cherokee thats for sale please let me know because i would like to look into it im not looking at spending too much $$ but i would like to see whats out there

do u think it wouldnt be worth it if i get the lift even after the process of getting the transmission and engine work done? please let me know and once again thank you everyone that has helped so far!!!

---chris

Last edited:
rockcrawler873 said:
To everyone that has replied to my quetioneallyappriciate it!! when yall talk about sellin it to get a 4.0 will my 2.8 not be strong enough? i love my jeep and would hate to get rid of it but.. thats where everyone comes n im totally open for adivse and will listen so.... if anyone know of a jeep cherokee thats for sale please let me know because i would like to loo into it im not looking at spending too much $$ but i would li to see whats out there

do u think it wouldnt be worth it if i get the lift even fter the process of getting the transmission and engine work done? please let me know and onceagain thatk you everyone that has helped so far!!!

---chris

the 2.8 pulls hard (ish) when it runs...

they came from the factory needing a rebuild (arent the most reliable engine out there)

Here you go, I found this in less than one minute;

Prev Next Team Nissan Of Lithia Springs811 Thornton Road
Lithia Springs GA 30122
(877) 206-8734 Contact Name:

1994 Jeep Cherokee$1,994.00
Team Nissan Of Lithia Springs More Detailed Report

1994 Jeep Cherokee Stock No: 129547B $1,994.00 BODY STYLE 4DR UTILITY
ENGINE 4.0L I6
INTERIOR COLOR GRAY
MILEAGE 176,599 mi
DOORS 4
EXTERIOR COLOR BLUE