• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help give me counsel

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
First off i have a 2000 xj 5.5" re, 33''s, chr 8.25 and, dana 30.

So im in the market to regear im think 4.56's but my question is should i say up and get the locker at the same time (arb up front). I know its cheaper to do it all at once but how much? (im paying someone). Ive read from some other sites that its a good idea to run without a locker for awhile and really get to know your rig and improve your own driving ability. What do you guys think? i could probably re-gear and improve some other aspects of the jeep i.e skids, bumpers, tire carrier, rock rails....

depends on what locker you plan to run in the back...

an ARB, Full Detroit, t-locker, full spool, limited slip will all require a new carrier which means settung up gears again - and will cost much the same labor as setting up new gears.

a lunchbox locker or mini-spool however could be added later if desired and minimal expierence is needed for that.

here is a very complete install of a tracklock limited slip in a d35 - the parts and specs are different, but this is esentialy the same setps...

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/traclok.html

note that with an ARB the time is more due to drilling the air hose and running the air system.

i would do the locker with the gears...

what gears are you going from? 4.11 i hope, otherwise you'll need a new ARB for the front - something else to consider...
the carrier break on the d30 is 3.73 and down and 4.11 and up

maybe you need new t-case gears instead of diff gears?
how does it drive on the road? why the gear change?

stock 3.55 i believe. it drive pretty good on the road... just as you would expect with stock gears and 33''s. The gear change is mainly for gas (i know not much) and increase performance. Im probably leave the rear alone

Back