• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing rear bumper deflection 35"s +

HoodRichXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I got a few questions for those of you running 35's and up on a swing out tire carrier. I in the process of building mine, im running 36x13.50 IROKS and I'm using a rockstomper turned down trailer spindle, and a latch from granger. The bumper it self is built from 3/16 plate and is very similar in looks to the WARN rear. I'm wondering how much delfection to expect if any when swinging the carrier out to open the hatch and when the jeeps hits bumps in the road. I've used the stock 8 bolt holes and then used the first to bolt holes on both sides that would be used to locate a trailer hitch. Right now my design is moving about an 1/8 of an inch when swinging the carrier open and closed, its just enough to notice if your looking closely. This might be a random question to throw up here but I know no one with a swing out carrier that I could look over and ckeck out. thanks steve

you mean the swing away deflecting in realtion to the bumper? or the bumper is deflecting in relation the frame?

the bumper should'nt move at all, with a 35/beadlock and high lift my swing away deflects an 1/8" or less (but I pre loaded it when it went together)

I have the Custom4x4fabrication swing out tire carrier modded to carry a 35" spare and it doesnt move at all, aside from the spare tire flexing the metal on the carrier a tad while in the rough, bumpy stuff.

Last edited:
sixditch said:
I have the Custom4x4fabrication swing out tire carrier modded to carry a 35" spare and it doesnt move at all, aside from the spare tire flexing the metal on the carrier a tad while in the rough, bumpy stuff.

What did you have to change to put a 35 on the C4x4 carrier?

sorry to hijack.

Prepmech said:
What did you have to change to put a 35 on the C4x4 carrier?

sorry to hijack.

I had to move the carrier over a few inches, by drilling new holes. The original setup wouldn't even work with a 33" spare. (the C4x4 site says it will mount a 35, but no it didn't)The tire would interfere with opening the hatch door. Drilling new holes was an easy fix, and I moved it far enough that I could mount a 40" tire without interfering with the hatch.

HoodRichXJ said:
I am referring to movement between the bumper and the uni-body. My carrier doesn't seem to move much.

My first bumper used a factory style mount and it did the same thing, I added braces (like most use) that attach to the hitch mounts.

since you already have it built I think I'd just add some braces.

My first bumper used a factory style mount and it did the same thing, I added braces (like most use) that attach to the hitch mounts.

since you already have it built I think I'd just add some braces.

Same here...
but I cut out the holes and opened up the frame on the inside.
took a 2x4 steel tube and cut it down to fit in the frame.
put nuts where the skid/trailer holes were and bolted in 3 places in each side.
I only carry a 33in spare. but I tow a trailer on my custom bumper too, and it doesn't move...
(when i did this it was to 'repair' being rear ended by a small car....)

Back