• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backwards torx!!!

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the old motor out of my 91 and the top two bolts on the trans were those torx things that the socket goes over. they look like a 12pt bolt (nee hub bolts) but are the torx pattern. Is this normal? They were AWFUL to get at too!!
They have been replaced by normal bolts in the reassembly bin!!

Did find out that the head is the same size as the Torx fastener on the oil filter adapter!!! LOL

Yes it is normal. Keeps ham-handed mechanics from stripping the corners off regular bolts when they tighten them, given the limited access space. Some folks opt to replace them. I just put mine back in since I now have the socket and know what they are.

I guess that's sensible, however since I don't have the tool in my arsenal and the replacements are I'll change them out. If I have to do another motor or trans it won't be on this one so I won't worry.
Thanks for the info, nice to know I'm not that crazy from time to time!!!

Back