• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lights Won't Go Off

critik

NAXJA Forum User
The dome light in my 94 XJ Sport won't go off. I've checked all the doors...they 're all closed. I took the bulb out for now...but how might I go about trying to fix this?

Independently operate each door switch by hand. On mine it turned out that the rear passenger door switch wasn't opening (closing?) completely when the door closed, so the light stayed on. I JB Welded a coin into the door to reduce the height.

Good ole' JB weld, I've seen whole rigs running on nothing but.....

I don't know about your year but my 98 has a feature that if you push in the rear cargo light one click the freakin lights stay on. I bumped it by accident when I first got it and spent the next 3 hours trying to get it to go out. Had my fsm out and was in the process of starting to tear into the wiring harness to test switches when my wife pulled this 'feature' out of the owners manual :wierd: :rattle:

lol... if it is anything like my '01 xj, a couple days after i bought it. i had the domelite stuck on. i found out twenty minutes later that it was the headlight switch. i inadvertantly clicked it over to (domelight) "on" position. i even turned the switch but it did not turn. all it took was a heavier hand to turn the headlight switch to off position. DOH!! there was NOTHING in the owners manual about it, grrrrrr. yeah i was about to yank bulbs and all that too...

Ranger

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of rear dome lights...

On my fiance's 96 xj it has the switch on the rear dome light so you can turn it off while door is open. well the switch broke, and it wouldn't go on at all, but the center main one did. While replacing the rear speakers I had to take the light off anyway. I wanted to see if I could fix or juryrig the switch to work like before. I couldn't. So I tried to buy another from the local Jepp dealer. He couldn't find a part number for one with the switch, so I got one without it. I went to another dealer and they couldn't find one either.

The one on my 99 has the same feature but works diiferently.

I want the light in the 96 to work like original with the switch. Does anybody have access to a chrysler parts computer, book, or anything where they can find the part # so I can take it to the hicks that work at the jeep dealers out here in the boonies?

Back