• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting 8.25 from 27 to 29 splines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

NAXJA Forum User
What needs to be done? Can I just replace the side/spider gears and the shafts? Can I leave the existing carrher xo therež$ I'd like to nn} h`ve 4m sdt u`$the gears again.

Thanks,
Jared:patriot:

DeadEyeJ said:
What needs to be done? Can I just replace the side/spider gears and the shafts? Can I leave the existing carrier in there? I'd like to not have to set up the gears again.

Thanks,

the 29 spline is thicker axle therfore the the 27 spline would be loose inside the bearings
fyi
when I thought about doing it
I priced out the axles and spiders
and the carrier

way to much to invest in a upgrade
find a 8.8
and regear that
money better spent

unless........
you are getting the parts REAL cheap

I am looking at cheap parts, like < 50 bucks for a donor axle with the wrong gears. So would it work with a donor axle, using it's side/spider gears and shafts?

Jared

The focus of my curiosity is whether or not the carrier from the 27 spline unit can accept 29 spline parts, such as 29 spline axleshafts and 29 spline side/spider gears.

DeadEyeJ said:
The focus of my curiosity is whether or not the carrier from the 27 spline unit can accept 29 spline parts, such as 29 spline axleshafts and 29 spline side/spider gears.

NO IT WILL NOT WORK

THE AXLES SLIDE INTO THE CARRIER VIA THE SIDE BEARINGS THE 27 SPLINE AXLE IS SAMLLER SO IT WOULD BE ROLLING AROUND IN THE CARRIER

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts,

Last edited:
DeadEyeJ said:
But the carrier is not the splined component... that would be the side gears. A carrier has no spline count. So the carriers are actually different between the 27 and 29 spline versions?

What I'm saying is that there is no surface of a differential carrier that has splines. The side gears, the pinion shaft, pinion yoke, and the axleshafts have splines. Nothing else. I believe that it is likely that you could simply use the side and spider gears from a donor 29 spline axle and place those donor side/spider gears into my 27 spline 8.25 carrier. This would allow me to use the 29 spline axleshafts from the donor axle in my 27 spline unit without having to setup the ring/pinion gears.

So does anyone know for certain whether or not the actual carrier from a 27 spline Chrysler 8.25" is identical to the carrier from the actual carrier from a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 axle.

I do appreciate the input so far. But, your answers have not been satisfying because again, there are no splines on a carrier. And no, I am not even considering a D44, D60, 8.8, or even setting up the gears again. I can live with a 27 spline 8.25. I just figured if I could upgrade it to a 29 spline unit in an hour for 50 bucks, why not?

DeadEyeJ said:
What I'm saying is that there is no surface of a differential carrier that has splines. The side gears, the pinion shaft, pinion yoke, and the axleshafts have splines. Nothing else. I believe that it is likely that you could simply use the side and spider gears from a donor 29 spline axle and place those donor side/spider gears into my 27 spline 8.25 carrier. This would allow me to use the 29 spline axleshafts from the donor axle in my 27 spline unit without having to setup the ring/pinion gears.

So does anyone know for certain whether or not the actual carrier from a 27 spline Chrysler 8.25" is identical to the carrier from the actual carrier from a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 axle.

I do appreciate the input so far. But, your answers have not been satisfying because again, there are no splines on a carrier. And no, I am not even considering a D44, D60, 8.8, or even setting up the gears again. I can live with a 27 spline 8.25. I just figured if I could upgrade it to a 29 spline unit in an hour for 50 bucks, why not?

BRO ARE YOU LISTENING OR NOT !!! IT WILL NOT WORK I LOOKED INTO IT ONCE AGAIN IT WILL NOT WORK ARGUE IF YOU MUST GET THE AXLE STHE SPIDER GEARS AND DO THE INSTALL AND WHEN THE THING BLOWS UP YOU CAN THINK MAN ANTHONY WAS RIGHT

VegasAnthony said:
NO IT WILL NOT WORK

THE AXLES SLIDE INTO THE CARRIER VIA THE SIDE BEARINGS THE 27 SPLINE AXLE IS SAMLLER SO IT WOULD BE ROLLING AROUND IN THE CARRIER

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts,
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts,

Chill caps lock man, we're adults here. First, I'm not planning on putting 27 spline shafts into a 29 spline housing, so no they would not be flopping around loosely inside the carrier. The axles slide into the side gears, which are held by the carrier. I'm saying that if I used the 29 spline side gears along with the 29 spline shafts, obviously they would fit together. They did in the other housing after all. What I'm asking is whether or not the side and spider gears from a 29 spline will fit into a 27 spline carrier.

Thanks again,
Jared

The search function can be very helpful...

Rawbrown said:
you currently have a 27 spline 8.25 and you want the extra strength of stepping up to 29 spline shafts. the 27 spline carrier will not fit the 29 spline shafts without machine work. so you either need to machine your 27 spline carrier to fit the 29 spline shafts or get a 29 spline carrier. which can be kinda pricey.

I had searched, 3 different combinations of terms in fact. But thank you for the definitive answer to my question, rather than typed shouting and extraneous, partially relavent information.

Consider this thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back