• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some steering ???'s, adding 2 more inches

bshaw

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys. I hate asking these questions, but I need some advice. Next week I'm adding 2 more inches to the ol heep. I'm going to be sitting right at 6.25", and I'm wondering about my steering. I would like to upgrade to something a little more beefy. I'm not having any problems at the moment, but I would rather avoid any on the trails. I got the D30 with 33x12.5's right now, and I'm looking to get a locker very soon for it, probaly a powertrax no slip.

1. I'm wondering if I should get a drop pitman arm or not? yes or no (i realize i will have to buy the trackbar bracket too if i do this)

2. If yes from one, should I get the box brace? What's a good brand (beefy one)?

3. So suggestions for upgraded steering anyone? Who's running what? Happy with it?

And yes I did a ton of searching. Thanks ahead of time!!

My opinion.

You definetly need to support the frame where the steering box is (I prefer not us a brace but a piece of steel on the inside and outside of frame).

I do not like drop pitman arms, it just increases the strees on the box, frame, etc. If you can avoid it I would. If you can not avoid it then make sure everything is very well supported.

I have made my own steering set up so I do not know who has the best stuff right now but if you continue to run the stock set up make sure you care a spare set and a way of switching on the trail.

Michael

I'm at 6.5 right now with 32'' tires and only an adjustable track bar and have no steering upgrades. So I would say it is not necessary at first, but I am also looking for upgrades as I think about bushwackers to fit 35"s. jcr off road makes what looks like a good kit for 200 there is a link in a recent bumper thread. That is what I was looking at it is the same setup as stock, just heavy duty tie rods and the bars are also heavy duty. the price seems right and I am happy with the bumper I got from them so I think that is what I will do once the bank says its ok.

Back