• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Gives? Wrong Tie Rod End.

Justin Graham

NAXJA Forum User
'89 XJ, four wheel drive. I need to replace the tie rod end, the one that connects to the pitman arm. I went to Autozone and Advanced, they both gave me the wrong part...the thread size was smaller. So I thought surely Napa will have the right part available, but they also gave me the same incorrect one. So does anybody know the correct Napa p/n for the tie rod end that connects to the pitman arm?

Thanks,
Justin

There are a couple of different sizes of drag link ends, besides the fact that they may be looking up a TIE ROD end instead of the DRAG LINK end.

tealcherokee said:
yeah, the DLE changed over the years.. my 96 the diameter was bigger than the 87 i pulled parts from

Exactly. Same with other little things like the swaybar and even the lengths of the endlinks!

On my 96, the TREs on the tie rod were 11/16". But the one that goes to the pitman arm is 22 mm. Don't know why they mixed metric and SAE.

Back