• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serp Belts

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of any serp belts that are better than the stock belts. I seem to remember there being 2. But do not remember.

Thanks,
Silent

I prefer Gates, but Goodyear gets a second on my list.

Michael

Goodyear
gatopoly_g2.gif

Gates
microv.jpg

Don't know much about the Gates (other than it's a trusted brand and would be my 2nd choice), but the Goodyear is supposed to be quiter and last longer. I've always run GY tires, so I guess I just trusted the product.

I'd not buy the good year ones, not until they make them in that sexy blue color :laugh3: The main reason I buy the OEM one's is usually I'm getting plugs, cap, rotor and wires so to eliminate stops I just get the belt and the idlers at the same place, saves me stops..

I have used Gates for many years and never had a problem.

I recently installed a GY on another truck (not a xj) and it was NOT quiet. I finally put the OEM back on and it was fine.

I am sure that GY are good belts but I have had really good luck with the Gates ones.

Anyone know who makes the OEM XJ belt? It is probably Gates if I were to guess, they make a lot of OEM belts.

Michael

Have the gatorback on my XJ, seems quite, but who knows. The packaging says that it should also run cooler, so it prevents glazing and cracking. With only 180mi on my engine, I'm not sure if that is true, but for an extra $20 why not get it.

NHxj4x4 said:
The packaging says that it should also run cooler, so it prevents glazing and cracking.

It might be true...mine's been on for about 2 years now, and the ribs still look brand new.

NHxj4x4 said:
Have the gatorback on my XJ, seems quite, but who knows. The packaging says that it should also run cooler, so it prevents glazing and cracking. With only 180mi on my engine, I'm not sure if that is true, but for an extra $20 why not get it.
Extra $20?

my gatorback was only like $21 total.

Back