• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Leaking on Stroker, help me find the leak PLEASE.

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I need some help finding a header leak on my new stroker. It's a 97 block, and I am using pacesetter headers. Everything was new. Anyway, I can't find the leak, I even brought it to an exhaust shop, and he can't find it either, but does not thing that it is the block to header flange connection. He thinks it is in the pipe welds somewhere. This is REALLY annoying me, it's a brand new engine that I built, and spent TONS of money and time re-doing, and now it sounds like a hooptie because of the damn header leak clicking noise that it makes.

So the exhaust shop said since the engine is so damn new (170mi) that there really aren't any carbon deposits that he can see yet, which he explained was typically the tell tale sign of where the leak it. I want to see if any of you guys have any other tips that I can use to try and find this damn leak.

Thanks!

Todd

This is just a thought, but could it be the lifters making the racket? It's odd that it's loud enough to drive you nuts, yet small enough to not make deposits. The lifters in my stroker were/are a little noisy but they've settled down quite a bit in the 650miles that I've put on it.

there is plenty of search material on lifters and noisy and strokers as well.

I'm just throwing this out there to help you think through the problem.

Matthew

So far I have asked the exhaust shop, Jeep themselves, and a local mechanic, if it was my lifters, or headers. They all agreed that it was the headers. The sound is definately in that area as well, not coming from the valve cover at all. It's LOUD I mean REALLY loud, as in I can barely hear the super 40 when I gas it, mostly the friggin headers.

Use the shade tree mechanics stethescope, a length of fuel hose. Put one end up to your ear, then move the other end around the header. You will be able to pinpoint the sound pretty quick.

think I found the leak with OldMan's tube trick. Its at the 3rd or 4th cylinder, toward the bottom of the pipe. Now I re-torqued the bolts, and it still clicks. I'm really at a loss here. Could the actual header itself be defective and have a leak?

I'm betting its the Pacesetters, I've heard nothing but problems from people who have used these headers. Sorry to tell ya.
Dave :rattle:

racerdave said:
I'm betting its the Pacesetters, I've heard nothing but problems from people who have used these headers. Sorry to tell ya.
Dave :rattle:

ya I know, I jumped out on the cheap limb.........damnit, I guess I'll have to take them off and re-weld the flange to the header. I think that is where the leak is. At least I can hi-temp paint them while I'm at it.

NHxj4x4 said:
ya I know, I jumped out on the cheap limb.........damnit, I guess I'll have to take them off and re-weld the flange to the header. I think that is where the leak is. At least I can hi-temp paint them while I'm at it.

any more progress?

Matthew

Back