• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 popping

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I think I'm in need of a chain for my t-case. When I'm in 4lo there is a popping noise comming from somewhere, I think it's the t-case. It seems to be just when it is under a load, like climbing a hill. I can drive around in 2wd all day and it is smooth. I thought it might be a u-joint so I dropped the front DS and it is tight and in good shape. The plastic shroud around the "ball" is pretty much non-existant. Should this be a concern? How can I tell if it is the chain slipping without splitting the t-case in two, or is it even possible to tell without splitting it? How much of a PIA is it to replace the chain? Should I replace the gears too? Should I get a 231 to put in it? I did search but couldn't find definate answers for the 242. TIA Any help is welcome. Not looking good for Carnagefest.........

Haleyes

96 police special
AW4

EDIT: On the way home from work tonight I put it in 4part time then in 4 full time and it sounded like the whole drivetrain fell out of the POS. All I could do in 4 full time is rev the engine. 4 low worked. All of this with the front DS out. This is my DD so I put it back in 2WD and that is where it will stay till it dies or I get another t-case. It's ticking ........This sucks..........

Last edited:
How did it sound just in p-t? What about adjusting the shift linkage? I was thinking maybe the shift collar (I think that's what it's called) for the full-time mode isn't fully engaging.

Grab the front driveshaft and give it a quick, hard twist back and forth. If the chain is stretched enough to slip you'll hear it whack the inside of the tcase.

If timber is thinking what I am thinking it's probabaly the shift coller. Teeth will break off of it. And there are 2 sets. I repacled mine with a 231. But mine was dropping out of 4wd under load. If it's the chain it's not a big deal to reaplce. But I doubt thats our problem. Find a 231 just make sure the spline count is right. 85-92 should be 27 93 and up is 31. Give or take I am pretty sure it runs with the H.O. motor.

We found the problem this morning. Nothing to do with the t-case. It is the motor mounts. Why he only gets the knocking in 4wd & under load is still the big question. The drivers side mount moves about 1". JIM.

I've had "knocking" sounds with bad transmission mounts...so noise with bad motor mounts doesn't surprise me. BTW...with a 242 in full-time 4x4, and without a front driveshaft, it will just rev....due to the differential action at the center. What did you expect?

ILLXJ said:
We found the problem this morning. Nothing to do with the t-case. It is the motor mounts. Why he only gets the knocking in 4wd & under load is still the big question. The drivers side mount moves about 1". JIM.

There you have it folks. Dagum motor mount. Anybody ever use the Lifetime Warranty ones from AutoZone?

I used them on my 98, they did fine until we went out to Rubicon last year and one sheared away. No problem returning it though, besides that they do fine

Back