• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bellhousing Removal 95 XJ, AX15

kairo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I've got a few nasty cracks in my bellhousing that I'm pretty sure I obtained when I lost my driveshaft on the freeway a couple weeks ago.
Pics here (Click me )

I'm going with a buddy tomorrow to pull a new bellhousing of a junkyard XJ and I would like to know what's involved with replacing it? I am wondering if the oil pan has to come off? I'm sure the tranny has to drop. Chiltons wasen't a durn bit of help to me. Do you have to remove the belhousing from the transmission from inside?

Anyone who'se done it before, please chime in!

thanks a bunch

:wave:

Bellhousing bolts must be removed from inside the bell.
Seeing that it's a junkyard unit, I'd probably do it this way:

Remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter on the trans from inside the Jeep. Disconnect the CPS. Remove starter and a couple of 13mm bolts that go into the bellhousing from the front, thru the tin shield. They're usually covered in grease. Get the exhaust out of the way, and remove the rear driveshaft, and the front of the front shaft.

Now just drop out the 4 15mm nuts/bolts on the crossmember and let it fall. This will leave 2 5/8 head bolts, and two up on the top of the bell that are an inverted torx.. E13 or something like that. Those top bolts are a dealbreaker when you're deep in a project in the yard, so bring the socket with you.

Then just fight the thing back off the input shaft and get the trans/tcase on the ground, remove the bellhousing. Not too bad really. The oil pan can stay on.

Good info guys, thanks alot. Do you know if my jeep has an internal or external slave cylinder? I'm not sure what that is. I went and looked and was able to identify the starter motor pretty easily. is the slave cylidner on the other side?

AX-15 on the 1995 has an external slave cylinder. Much better than the internal one on my 1990 XJ. I'm in the middle of replacing it now, ready to put the tranny back in. Those 2 reverse head torx bolts on top of the bellhousing are a real PIA. Best way to atttak them is from inside with several long extensions and an E-13 socket. We stripped the right side bolt and ended up using a Dremmel to shear off the head, nothing else worked. Once that was off it was easy to walk the tranny back using side to side motion while pushing back. Even with the TC on it's not that heavy, maybe 175 pounds.
Good luck to you.

I converted a 4 cyl AX-5 bellhousing from internal to external slave pretty easy. I wonder if the same could be done with the earlier AX-15s?

Hey guys, back again!

I finally started this project today (putting the new bellhousing on) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to take the t/case shift linkage apart. I accidentally removed the rod that goes from the linkage to the transfer case with a screwdriver, and I removed two 11mm screws that were holding a cylindrical part of the linkage in a bracket which the bracket is attached to the side of the XJ. I have tried pushing pulling and prying on everything to get something to come free, and nothing has. I feel like i'm missing a basic step.

thoughts??

Thanks!

Back