• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some D44 questions

slvr98svt

NAXJA Forum User
Ok starting out with the rear, I am changing to 4.88's with a lockright, should be here tomw. Well anyway, when I go to install it with the new carrier and everything, how do I know how much to shim on the sides? My dad will be setting this up as he knows how to. But his main question to me was how do we know how much to shim it as it was pretty darn tight when we removed the old stuff.

Now for the front, this one is still in the tear down stage because it needs all the bracketry welded on and everything still. But anyway when I went to remove the caliper brackets, there was an almost cup or bowl shaped piece that seemed to be welded to the brackets that I would assume to be protection from rocks and grit getting into the axle. However they were rotted mostly all the way through, are these needed for anything? There are seals on both sides of the axles so all I can see this doing is not letting grit get to close, however I would assume that stuff would build up in there anyway and that is the reason they were rotted all the way off in the first place.

Im sure Ill have some more questions soon enough, but thats it for now.
Thanks,
-Matt

Back