• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I tell how many amps I've got?

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a rebuilt amp from ebay that is supposedly 130a. I've got it one with the smaller red top size and battery cables that are no smaller than 1 ga. Half the part store monkeys don't know how to operate the testing equipment which has yielded results from 30A to around 74A? So how can I test it?

will

DeftwillP said:
I bought a rebuilt amp from ebay that is supposedly 130a. I've got it one with the smaller red top size and battery cables that are no smaller than 1 ga. Half the part store monkeys don't know how to operate the testing equipment which has yielded results from 30A to around 74A? So how can I test it?

will
Take it to a generator shop.

Rebuilt "amp?" Or rebuilt "alternator?" I just want to make sure...

A agree with seeing a local generator shop - especially since that's where I get all my starters and alternators anyhow. Most parts houses (especially the big chains!) tend to hire staff with matching IQ and belt size, and aren't even smart enough to merit being called "droids."

While you're there, check out pricing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I do quite well with my local shop (San Jose Generator) - I've been using him for years, I send a lot of business his way, and he gives me exactly what I want. He's also honest enough to tell me when something legitimately can't be done, rather than blowing sunshine up my 4$$ and trying to hose me.

Another nice thing about Rod's work (that's his name - Rod Stuart. Poor schmuck) is that I only have to buy new parts when I'm replacing them on another vehicle. Pride in craftsmanship - I'll probably have him ship me parts even when I move out of CA - a good shop is really hard to find!

5-90

Yeah...its alt, not amp. I cut and pasted on JU too to much confusion over there as well.

Back