• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting 6x9's in tailgate???

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a nice pair of rockfard fosgate (spelling??) 6x9" for $5

has anybody ever mounted 6x9's in rear of a a xj? it looks like its gonna require some cutting with a jig saw. i hate fiberglass itches!!!!!!

thanks

I've got 5x7's back there & I had to cut a bit. You may also need to get some adapter plates for the depth of the 6x9's as the lift gate is kind of shallow.

Rob

are you talking about having them on the panel? don't do it, if that's what you're talking about. when i bought my jeep the panel was precut for the 6x9's. the whole mess was just thrown in the back of the jeep. i ended up putting it all on, since it was free. it's way too much weight for the panel i have some big thick screws holding the panel up, and it holds up well. when the day comes that i do, do it right. i want to find another panel (maroon) and just get some very high quality stock size speakers. i don't want anything sticking out. i want a good sound, with nothing visible

I haven't had much experience with Rockford Fosgate's speakers, so just go with me here.

Are they coaxials or components? If you don't know, coaxials have the tweeter permanently mounted on the cone in the center. Components have a seperate tweeter that can be mounted like a coax, but usually aren't.

If you have components, I'd recommend boxing them. You can buy 6x9 boxes really cheap, and if you don't wanna spend money, just make some. I'm not quite sure which material they'd recommend for a speaker, but I know for subs they recommend medium density fiberboard (MDF). I'm sure you could find somewhere to put the boxes out of the way.

If all else fails, maybe you can design a rear sound bar to recieve the 6x9's.

Just my $0.02...

Oh ya, ditch the RF's and get some Focal PolyKevlar 5.25 components. I have 'em and they are friggin' awesome... if not a lil' pricey... :p

Last edited:
I install for a living and don't reccomend it.
1) They can't be mounted from the rear, there is not enough depth.
2) The liftgate trim is not strong enough to get a soild front mount, also a lot of spacer would need to be used
3) THAT LOCATION SOUNDS TERRIBLE!! I'd imagine this is why Jeep decided to start putting them in a soundbar on the roof.

If you have vent windows you can put them in the front doors with some cutting, I have 2 sets of 6.5" woofers in my front doors with room to spare! really your only other option is to put them in boxes or make custom mounts.

get some Focal PolyKevlar 5.25 components

SHHHHHHHHH...

Dont be telling everybody about Focal stuff. I enjoy listening to other people brag about how good their Fosgate, Punch, Pyle, or what ever junk they got sounds.
While I dont have my component mounted in the Jeep yet (been broken into too many times), I am looking forward to installing my Focal front and rear stage with JL 8W6's. Currently I'm looking for a Hi-Fonics "ZEUS" series, 6 channel amp to power it.
Nothing like sitting in the front seat, closing your eyes, and listening to Beathoven's 5th. Its so clear, you can hear the horns (brass) in the back, Woodwinds on the front right, Strings on the front left, and the percussions all around you.
Thumpers have idea...

xjcrawlr said:
SHHHHHHHHH...

Dont be telling everybody about Focal stuff. I enjoy listening to other people brag about how good their Fosgate, Punch, Pyle, or what ever junk they got sounds.
While I dont have my component mounted in the Jeep yet (been broken into too many times), I am looking forward to installing my Focal front and rear stage with JL 8W6's. Currently I'm looking for a Hi-Fonics "ZEUS" series, 6 channel amp to power it.
Nothing like sitting in the front seat, closing your eyes, and listening to Beathoven's 5th. Its so clear, you can hear the horns (brass) in the back, Woodwinds on the front right, Strings on the front left, and the percussions all around you.
Thumpers have idea...
Hi-Fonics is pretty good. I saw a ZUES unit when I got my Eclipse Head Unit/Amp/10" and Focals installed.

JL rocks! If I had it to do over again and I didn't plan on putting my Jeep through the roughness that is off-roading, I'da went JL all the way. Nothing better in my opinion... other than ADS. :laugh3: :lecture:

I have to disagree with you, trailreadyxj. 6x9's do fit in the area listed. you are right though, the panel is not strong enough to hold such a speaker. i have to disagree with you again, on the location. the liftgate is a great location to have them mounted. if you've ever sat on the end of the 'bed' with the liftgate up, the sound is perfect.

uvaldetxj said:
I have to disagree with you, trailreadyxj. 6x9's do fit in the area listed. you are right though, the panel is not strong enough to hold such a speaker. i have to disagree with you again, on the location. the liftgate is a great location to have them mounted. if you've ever sat on the end of the 'bed' with the liftgate up, the sound is perfect.
I agree with uvaldetxj.

Just curious TrailReadyXJ, but why would it be a bad location? My old '91 had the stock rear speaker location here. It sounded fine to me. I had a set of 5.25s there and they were great. I know they're no 6x9s, but why is it a bad location?

The liftgate is a bad location from the driver's seat, they fire straight into the backseat. I agree with the liftgate open they would be good for outdoor events.
I hate how everyone worries about rear speakers! first of all your ears face forward.2nd when you go to a concert the sound comes from the front. IMHO rear speakers should only be used for fill (to get a broad, full sound) and should be set at a volume level lower than the front.
I have Alpine "R" series components, had a set in the liftgate and they sounded like crap, moved them up front with my other set and the sound is MUCH better.(only using 1 set of tweets)
Speaker placement is as if not more important as the brand.
I used to compete for sound quality,now I just install everyday so I got tired of it, so now my main hobby involves mud and rocks.

Like it or not, Trailready is right. Sitting from the drivers seat. Now IMHO, the damn struts on the gate can NOT handle the added weight of a RF 6x9. Or at least none I have ever seen can.
I sound deadened my doors and added a new lower door panel from 3/4 MDF, Then Glassed the whole door panel, then covered it in vinyl and installed an old set of SoundStream 6.5 Comps. It Sounds Awesome just off the deck. Imaging is right at the center of the windshield.
.ME

TRAILREADYXJ said:
The liftgate is a bad location from the driver's seat, they fire straight into the backseat. I agree with the liftgate open they would be good for outdoor events.
I hate how everyone worries about rear speakers! first of all your ears face forward.2nd when you go to a concert the sound comes from the front. IMHO rear speakers should only be used for fill (to get a broad, full sound) and should be set at a volume level lower than the front.
I have Alpine "R" series components, had a set in the liftgate and they sounded like crap, moved them up front with my other set and the sound is MUCH better.(only using 1 set of tweets)
Speaker placement is as if not more important as the brand.
I used to compete for sound quality,now I just install everyday so I got tired of it, so now my main hobby involves mud and rocks.
I completely agree with you, but I just had to know why you said that.

On my '96, I skipped rear speakers all together seing as I only sit in the front, so why set up a rear sound stage. The 5.25 Focals and 1" tweeters are more than enough for me. :guitar:

good point trail ready. i agree with you now, but i still like my liftgate speakers :p my liftgate shocks can handle the weight, i don't have to lift it myself either, they do all the work.

uvaldetxj said:
good point trail ready. i agree with you now, but i still like my liftgate speakers :p my liftgate shocks can handle the weight, i don't have to lift it myself either, they do all the work.

thanks, like I said I think liftgate speakers are great for when your outside, I thought about adding a cheap set of speakers there on a small amp (my deck is preamp only) and adding a switch to turn them on when I want sound outside.

Starscream918 said:
I completely agree with you, but I just had to know why you said that.

On my '96, I skipped rear speakers all together seing as I only sit in the front, so why set up a rear sound stage. The 5.25 Focals and 1" tweeters are more than enough for me. :guitar:

Focals ROCK, they are probably the most used speaker for SQ competitions. We are an Alpine dealer so the deal I got was too good to pass up, or I would have gotten them. I really like the Alpines but am not using the crossovers, I have all that stuff in my deck that allows me more control than even my amps can, I guess that's a benifit of a deck that retailed for $800!!!

I had my Infinity Kappa 3-ways mounted in my ZJ's gate, pulled them when it was totalled, and installed them into my XJ. Mine is a 1998, so things may be different for you but I'll ramble on for the benefit of others.

They are powered by a RF amp. I have some Pioneer deck that came in my XJ, and Polk db 5.25 speakers in the other four locations. The 6X9's and amp were from when I owned a 79 RX-7 I was going to put them in but never did, and I wanted to use them in my jeep. I have the balance forward to hear the door speakers better, and the amp bass and treble output are adjusted so they don't overpower the 5.25s.

I'll admit I know nothing about sound imaging, but I think they are great. My liftgate stays up just fine with them in there. Also, there is some metal behind the plastic panel that you can use for support. Currently each of my 6X9s have two screws going into a speed nut that is set in a metal panel I had to cut away for them to fit, and two screws go into speed nuts that are anchored only in the plastic panel. I don't really have spacers, but the grill I had to use sticks out about an inch. Nothing rattles on the gate. I listen to more DMB than Lil' John anyway, so we're not talking about heavy bass. I could do pics if necessary.

Would I do it again? Well, I did it to 2 jeeps so, yes. Again, I'm no car audio guru. Yet, if you want to work in those 6X9s, this is the only way you will be able to do it. If you are sketched about putting them in the gate, try getting ready to cut the door up, or having your dog sit on your boxes (which was an issue for me).

Good luck,

Josh

shonuff said:
Also, there is some metal behind the plastic panel that you can use for support. Currently each of my 6X9s have two screws going into a speed nut that is set in a metal panel I had to cut away for them to fit, and two screws go into speed nuts that are anchored only in the plastic panel. I don't really have spacers, but the grill I had to use sticks out about an inch. Nothing rattles on the gate. I listen to more DMB than Lil' John anyway, so we're not talking about heavy bass. I could do pics if necessary.

Pre 97 liftgates are fiberglass...no metal.

I have a '92 with a completely metal liftgate, except that little plastic snap on panel. I wanted to put 6.5's back there, but figured it'd be to much hassle. I'm currently running JBL's all the way around. Now what really interest's me is getting a set of 5.25's in the back doors. Anyone done this and/or have pics of this? How much cutting would be required?

Dvipercop said:
I have a '92 with a completely metal liftgate, except that little plastic snap on panel. I wanted to put 6.5's back there, but figured it'd be to much hassle. I'm currently running JBL's all the way around. Now what really interest's me is getting a set of 5.25's in the back doors. Anyone done this and/or have pics of this? How much cutting would be required?

92 and metal? Is it a replacment? I have heard of metal gates on very early models(like 84-85), but did they use them in some newer ones too?

Yup, '92 and metal. I'm 99% sure it's not a replacement, but I am the second owner. My friend also owns a '94 with a metal liftgate. The only thing I can think is that they are both Sports, could that make a difference?

Back