• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not shifting till High RPMs?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 1993 XJ that was in a slight front end collision with a concrete median. The owner had been going too fast around a corner and hit the median; bending the front steering components and knocking it out of allignment.

The XJ was driven home and parked, I bought it and replaced the steerign components and it drives straight now, but there is still one problem (that I was told was caused by the accident) that I have no idea about.

When you are shifting (Automatic in OD) from 1st gear to 2nd gear you need to wind out the RPMs to around 3500-4000 to get it to shift into 2nd. From there it shifts through the rest of the gears fine. Is there a vacuum line or shift cable that could have come loose or off that would be causing this problem, or am I looking at a rebuild?

Specs: 93 Automatic 2wd, 4.0 Engine, transmission unknown, 107,000 miles

Look for wires off. The trans is electronic control I doubt it's bad.
To tell if the problem is electrial or mechanical un plug the TCU control.
Test drive trans should have 1st 3rd 4th when you shift manualy.
If those feel good the problem is electrical.

Last edited:
How about the TV cable sometimes erroniously called the kick down cable. If it is out of adjustment, I think it can cause the same symptoms. A hard blow could have caused the clamp to let go and reposition the cable.

Back