• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sqeaky springs after AAL

CSaddict

NAXJA Forum User
Well I install an RC 3" lift on my XJ. ( I know, I know, no ones a big fan of Rough Country.) I had my RE6030 on back order for a month and decided to cancel and get a cheaper lift and I put the money I saved towards my new plasma cutter. (definatley worth it) Anyway. I installed the AAL (full length) and the spring clamps. Now I have excessive creaking and squeaking when the pack shifts, bumps, change of direction, and even just getting in and out of it. Should I remove the spring clamps and put rubber in them? Should I try to put rubber in between the leafs? I did search but I must not be wording it correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

I assume you did the install correctly and left the eyelet bolts barely snug and the clamps not too tight. Then lowered the rear and tightened the eyelet bolts.

Go get some grease. I preferr the whie Lithium grease myself. Also pick up a paint stir stick or two from home depot or hardware store.

If yes, then remove the clamps again. Jack up vehicle up with the wheels off. Put jack sands on the front torque box (leaf spring mount) and lower the jack so that the axle droops down and the leafs are unloaded. Slide a screwdriver between the ends of the leafs so that it makes a space along the one sid eof the pack. Using the paint stick, slather on a thin coat of grease between the leaves. Repeat this between all the leaves in the pack. Then jack up so the jack is supporting the weight and put the clamps back on.

I did this about 9mo ago and not a peep sinse. The problem with the AAL is that there's no way to keep the pads on there.

Thanks for the response! I didnt remove the leaf pack from the jeep to install it. I just moved the axle and removed all the springs but the eyelet spring. Then I put the rest of the pack back in and used clamps to pull them together. Then installed the center pin.I will remove the clamps and try to install them a bit looser. I will also try the grease.

Thanks
David

Back