• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one link

orvpark

NAXJA Member # 1374
I've been researching doing a one link rear (with panhard). There are several guys i wheel with running them and all of them have something I don't like about their set-up. Mainly I really don't like the steep angles of the panhard, (mine will cruise at 80 eventually) and i have concerns over solidly mounting a "removable" cross member that will be up to the beef to keep this thing attached to the unibody.

I've looked at the "Watts Link" But I'm not sure that there is room under my xj for all that linkage.

I will definitly be putting some rubber in the "system" somewhere to take some of the shock load off the mounts.

What are your thoughts on a one link besides long and flat?

What about the Watt?

Anyone seen this done on an xj?

Or should I scrap it as a stupid idea and 4 link it? :speepin:

Last edited:
Please don't use a hitch ball for the frame mount!

:gag:

Like this?
1link.jpg

Billy

There are two main concerns with a "one link". (1) Antisquat. Antisquat values will be very high since it is essentially a radius arm. Depending on terrain, this can be a major problem. Some things to do to help are keep the arm as long and flat as possible and use a center limiting strap. (2) Redundancy. With a 3, 4 or 5 link you can break some links and the axle won't go too far, with a 1 link, if you break something it will almost certainly be catastrophic. So make all your mounts, links, and joints VERY beefy.

I wouldn't waste time on a Watts linkage
tanimatew23to.gif

stick to a relatively flat panhard.

1link.jpg

this is exactly what i'm talking about

I understand the antisquat downfall, but there are a lot of bugs to work out on a 4-link that an xj really just doesn't have room for. In everything i've mocked up the vertical seperation at the frame has been pretty puny and kills my numbers. The only way to get the seperation you'd need would be to cut the heck out of the floor or have mounts way below the frame rails. At 6-7" i wanna keep as much ground clearance as possible. I'm not afraid to cut but if I didn't want a back seat I wouldn't have an xj.

My front end works very well I just want the rear to follow its lead both on and off-road.

Thanks Brett for the real feeback. I think I can get a good flat panhard if i bend it to clear over or around the diff.

How about springs? mounting approximately in the position of the factory bumpstops what springs should get me the lift i'm looking for? I guess i need to go to walmart with a tape measure and get ran off from peoples jeeps :repair:

Believe it or not, stock front coils net appx 6" of lift when used in the rear in that location. The spring rate is about right (maybe a tad soft) also, since XJ's weigh about an equal amount front and rear. I researched rear coils for a while once thinking of doing a wristed radius arm setup in the rear of mine.

What all my hard thinking basically resulted in was this - use leafs. Get long flattish ones and mount them lower with a nice long shackle and watch em flex. It's simple, proven, foolproof and bulletproof.

Good luck, and have fun building it whatever route you go!

Jared:patriot:

I toyed with the onelinnk on an XJ and even made up the arm to see waht problems Id run into. On my mock up the link was attached to a custom crossmember and only about 1" below the TC output.

check out Pirates for onelink many good posts.

DeadEyeJ said:
Believe it or not, stock front coils net appx 6" of lift when used in the rear in that location. The spring rate is about right (maybe a tad soft) also, since XJ's weigh about an equal amount front and rear. I researched rear coils for a while once thinking of doing a wristed radius arm setup in the rear of mine.

What all my hard thinking basically resulted in was this - use leafs. Get long flattish ones and mount them lower with a nice long shackle and watch em flex. It's simple, proven, foolproof and bulletproof.

Good luck, and have fun building it whatever route you go!

I'm not saying you're wrong, but wouldn't front coils end up being a little stiff in the rear???
Billy

Actually, I'd be wishing that they were even stiffer. That is, unless it was a trail only rig, and possibly I would still wish it.

XJ's are about 50-50 weight bias empty. However, I usually have a full tank, a ton of gear. Either that, or I'm towing a big trailer. They ought to be great for a not-terribly-rear-heavy XJ in trail conditions.

I'm going to link the rear of my MJ with stock XJ coils. It's pretty light (3600lbs) and heavily biased towards the front, so I think it will be pretty good. I'm also going to make adjustable mounts so if I want to cut the coils some (increasing spring-rate) I can easily adjust the ride-height back to what I want.

I guess thats what i'll start with, I "heard" that it would net about 8" in the location i was talking about. I guess i'll trim them down to stiffin them up and drop it down a bit

cagedxj said:
here is my one link XJ

Your XJ is cleaner underneath than on top.

Looks nice.

how's it do on steep rock climbs? how's the anti-squat? have you run it without the winch hooked to the axle? do you have any pics of the vehicle side mount of the arm? what type of joint did you use?

nice lookin rig by the way, i really like how you did the back.

Thanks! I really only use the rear winch on REALLY steep drops. It likes to seperate pretty bad on big drops, Im not sure if its the air shocks or what but the ATV winch keeps it all in check. I am also now running a limit strap in the rear to minimize the anti squat. If plugged into the 4 link calc. thats going around the roll axis is really good but the anti squat is pretty high. However I havnt really noticed it to be hurting performance. It climbs GREAT! I have run several 4 link rigs that didnt climb as well. But there is alot more involved in trail manners than the rear suspension. I am using the large RE joint for my pivot. It has been holding up great so far...and I havent been easy on it so say the least.

Here are some more pics

got any more pics of the x member?

I've blown my budget for this on my axles so I'll be putting some 63" chevy's under mine for now.

This is still in my future I've just been down for too long as is. I've got a local comp coming up so i need to get it on the road :wierd:

Back