• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need ECU 89 xj

replacement ECU

Hi Matthew:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I need a replacement ECU.

My personal e mail is: [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from you. I'm itching to get my jeep back in the dirt!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

Have you check the online parts stores or you local parts stores? I purchased a rebuilt ECU for my 88 XJ about a year ago. If you have a dead ECU then turn it in as your core, if not find a place that does not require a core or eat the core charge.

I did notice my XJ did run better after I installed the new ECU. I am of the opinion that electrics degrade and one they they fail. I am glad I replaced the ECU along with all the other engine sensors which make the engine run.

I am just wondering did believe you could not buy a servicable ECU?

Martin

Michael,

I have purchased parts from Rockauto.com and carparts.com. I personally purchased a rebuilt unit from Standard.

There are two ECUs for the Renix XJs. There the "normal" one wich all of use have in our XJs. There was also one developed for the MJs racing at Baja. Here the Mopar site which talks about the Baja version: http://www.mopar.com/m_perf_parts_product_part.jsp?categoryID=10016&itemID=553.

As you can see on the write up it requires premium gas and you can not tow with it. I like being able to burn 87 octane and on occasion I do tow with my XJ.

I think for the most part all XJs/MJs came with the same ECU. I think a rebuilt unit will serve you well. If I find a off-road version I may buy it for kicks. Right now my rig goes into the body shop to fix what a 19 year old did when she ran a red light and slammed into me sitting at the same red light headed the other direction.

Martin

Back