• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got back from a little wheeling

langer1

NAXJA Forum User
First time with this xj and got a transmission question.
It has a AW-4 and the shifter only has 1-2 climbing hills it keep's shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Is there any way to prevent that (hold in first)?
Sorry wrong place for this post, just delete.

Last edited:
Brett sells an electronic manual shifting doodad for the aw4 which will keep it in any gear that you want it, and have it keep the fully automatic aspect of the tranny.

which can be found in the vendors section ;)

I've had a Compushift in my '91 since 1994.
You use the power/comfort dash switch to select 1st (power) or 2nd(comfort). It does not shift from 1st to second if you're in "comfort mode", it stays in second. If you use comfort mode around town, the tranny never shifts into 1st, it will start from 2nd gear.

In "power mode", it stays in 1st as long as the console shifter is in 1-2.

This is contact info for them:
Aftermarket Innovations
4326 Glencoe St. NE
Salem, OR 97301

800-528-6900

http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/
[email protected]

jonboy said:
I've had a Compushift in my '91 since 1994.
You use the power/comfort dash switch to select 1st (power) or 2nd(comfort). It does not shift from 1st to second if you're in "comfort mode", it stays in second. If you use comfort mode around town, the tranny never shifts into 1st, it will start from 2nd gear.

In "power mode", it stays in 1st as long as the console shifter is in 1-2.

This is contact info for them:
Aftermarket Innovations
4326 Glencoe St. NE
Salem, OR 97301

800-528-6900

http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/
[email protected]
I believe they no longer make said product, and their website sure says so:

After more than 12 years of providing the CompuShift Plus to Jeep Cherokee owners we have decided to discontinue manufacturing the product. We have reached this decision after careful consideration of the demand for it over the past couple of years which has been insufficient to warrant continuing. This website will remain up in order to warn Cherokee owners of the safety hazard that the aw4 automatic transmission presents to operators, when used in the 1-2 shift position.

Thank you to all of our past customers.

Jim Nasset

How much were they charging for these things anyway?

BrettM said:
I believe they no longer make said product, and their website sure says so:

How much were they charging for these things anyway?

I guess that'll suck if this thing ever breaks cuz I'll have to fix it myself, build one or buy yours (I just looked at your info).

It was a long time ago, but I think it cost around $100 or $150 back then. I do like how it took advantage of the otherwise worthless power/comfort dash switch.

Back