• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EZ Locker Problem???

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I put detroits ez locker in the rear of my 44. The thing won't stop popping while going STRAIGHT down the road. All the springs were installed w/ caps towards the pin as instructed. Had even spacing. Spider gear shims were put on the clutches. Tire pressure is the same. Clicks when going in circle under no gas(Which is good) Tires chirp when under power. But the thing won't stop poping, buckin the rearend, when going straight. It gets louder/harder when under more gas. I've opened up the diff cover again and check everything, everything checks out to my best understanding TracTech is closed for the weekend, so I wanted to see if anyone could help me.

mmmkay325 said:
Ok I put detroits ez locker in the rear of my 44. The thing won't stop popping while going STRAIGHT down the road. All the springs were installed w/ caps towards the pin as instructed. Had even spacing. Spider gear shims were put on the clutches. Tire pressure is the same. Clicks when going in circle under no gas(Which is good) Tires chirp when under power. But the thing won't stop poping, buckin the rearend, when going straight. It gets louder/harder when under more gas. I've opened up the diff cover again and check everything, everything checks out to my best understanding TracTech is closed for the weekend, so I wanted to see if anyone could help me.
Check your tires for size(they must match),there are no "clutches"?

MMM I had an EZ locker in a d35(i know there junk)with 4.10 gears was simple to install. Id like to know what gears you got. Mine worked perfect in a wrangler back in the day

Clutches? I installed one in my xj d35. No problems. Did you have a limited slip d44 carrier with clutches and some how manageg to stuff the ez in there. I don't see how that would be possible but crazier things have happened. Explain clutches?

I"m sorry, I didn't mean clutches. There are clutches in the EZ Locker, but w/ the thrust washers I meant to say those went on the side gears and not the clutch. If that clears it up. My tire sizes are the same. I'm just stumped, cause everyone i've talked to say this shouldn't be right. I got to thinking last night if it's the gear oil weight i'm runnin' is the problem??? I'm runnin' like 90w 140. Would the thick stuff not allow there to be enough pressure put on the outside clutches to mesh w/ the side gears and stay meshed instead of poppin' out of the pattern? should i be runnin' the lightest stuff out there???

Last edited:
I have both front and rear lockers with no problem. If I was you and you know something is not right I would pull it check all the components and try useing 75-90 gear oil. That may or may not be your problem but 90-140 gear oil seems wrong.

While it is out check your components maybe something got kinked in there wrong. Do a good visual inspection.

Usually its liek 85W 140, but thats what my manual suggests for towing. I dont tow, but big tires and offroad i figure is the same stresses.

Oil weight is irrelevant,most(manufacturers) say the heavier weight quiets them down!

Last edited:
I am using 75-90 castrol both front and rear and I never hear them. 33'' tires. It won't hurt to try a light weight oil while it is apart. I would have to agree that oil weight is irrelevent though.

Back