• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what gears work well with 34's

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
i have a xj with 5 inches of lift and Im getting 34 tsl's but I wanna know whats a good all around gearing to go with I already searched around a little so im gonna go with 4:56's or 4:10's this is a DD and i just want it back to stock basicly. what should I go with? any suggestions

Yes, I guessing that you have an auto. If so, 4:56's are great. I've had them and run 34's as dd for a year, before going to 35's.

4.56's with 35's puts you just about exactly at a stock over all ratio, so with 34's you will be just a bit lower geared than a stock XJ. Personally, unless you are doing a bunch of commuting, I would probably even think of going a bit lower.

if your axles can then go 4.88s unless its a dana35 then dont waste money on it. if its the 8.25 go 4.56s

you'll be happy w/ 4.56s...

4.10s might be a tad high; 4.88s might be a tad low (for your stated usage)

i have 4.56's with 33" bfg m/t's and that combo seems to work great!

I have 4.88s and both 35 and 33 inch tires. It's perfect with the 33s, and I wish for deeper gears when I have the 35s on. Both sets are radials which are lighter than your TSLs.

Get 4.56 if you have the 8.25 rear (no 4.88 available) and 4.88s if you have a Dana rear.

well i know where your coming from with my tsl's being so heavy. but i cant find anyone else who makes a good knoby tire in 34's. is there anyone who knows of another company who makes 34x10.50 R15?

Couple of minor questions.

1) What chance is there of wanting to go bigger down the road?

2) Auto or stick?

3) What is your current gearing?

Going back to stock, I'd suspect it would be either 4.56 or 4.88.

Kent

xj4fun said:

2) Auto or stick?

Kent

Correction, back to stock would probably be 4.10 or 4.56 as you initially mentioned.

Don't stick the $ into a dana 35. Go with 4.56 gears in the 8.25 and 4.88's is the dana 44. That is ideal and will give you good power, the best you can get with XJ axles. With your overdrive tranny, it will not be bad on the highway. 4.56 gears and 35's are about stock gearing, but you have heavier tires and less aerodynamics so go a little lower than that. A dd or not, gear once and be done with it.

Big Red said:
Don't stick the $ into a dana 35. Go with 4.56 gears in the 8.25 and 4.88's is the dana 44. That is ideal and will give you good power, the best you can get with XJ axles. With your overdrive tranny, it will not be bad on the highway. 4.56 gears and 35's are about stock gearing, but you have heavier tires and less aerodynamics so go a little lower than that. A dd or not, gear once and be done with it.

What he said............:cheers:

xj4fun said:

2) Auto or stick?

Kent

well i would like bigger tires but I only have 5 inches of lift total. and i have the aw4 auto. my current gearing is 3.73 im pretty sure I also have the 8.25 axle. you think i can run the 35's?

not with those gears, the rear axle is strong enough if it is 29 spline. and you have enough lift

35's + 8.25 + 4.56's = Fine for me. :) I ran that combo for a good while, and was pleased with its all around performance. Probably had a lot to do with me swapping out the 3.07's I was running on those 35's for the first couple months, lol. The crawl ratio wasnt extraordinary, but it was capable and I could hold 85-90 on flat freeway with the ax15.

Justpunchit said:
well i would like bigger tires but I only have 5 inches of lift total. and i have the aw4 auto. my current gearing is 3.73 im pretty sure I also have the 8.25 axle. you think i can run the 35's?

Sure, can you run 35's with 5 inches. I know several that doing this. Hopefully more folks running this setup will post their thoughts. I also know of one person that is running 37's on 4.5 lift. This did require a ton of cutting and moving the front axle forward about an inch along with a few other mods.

With proper bump stops, wheel back spacing etc, this should work fairly well. You won't have a wild amount of articulation, but you will have a low center gravity (good for a DD).

Running 35's on stock axles would be a concern. For the street and very light off road, you 'might' be OK. I honestly don't know how much strong an 8.25 is over a D35. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for D30's and 35's.

The primarily reason I asked the question on going bigger, was if you plan to, do you want to put any money in regearing stock axles? I’d be thinking of upgrading to a D44 or 8.8. You could upgrade the stock axles, but I think you would get more for your buck totally replacing them.

I'm moving towards 35's myself and built axle upgrades into the budget from day one.

You've got enough lift (with a fair degree of fender cutting), the axles is what my concerns would be.

Kent :)

The 8.25" is in the ballpark of a 44, IMO. The only signifacant differance is the fact that the ring gear on the 44 is 8.5". A quater inch isnt a wild difference. Its also a 30 spline, whereas the 8.25" is available with 29. The 44 shaft diameter is 1.31", while the 8.25's shaft diameter is 1.21". So 1/10" of an inch.

Just of note the 8.25 is also the same axle used behind the mustang gt and cobra 5.0's along with the Durango RT's 5.9L 360. :)

Back