• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

special req. for winch? and tranny cooler ques.

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my winch bumper in and next Im ordering my winch, before I do I was wondering If there are any special requirements as far as engine/electrical mods that need to be done when you have a winch...and how hard is It to wire up a winch? I saw a few folks on here have optima red or yellow top batteries, is this neccesary, I know the have a little more cold crank power, I Just got a brand new 72 month exide battery from National tire and battery though so I hope I dont need an Optima...let me know...

then one more question...I wanna get a tranny cooler cause Im running stock gears for the meanwhile with 33's and an auto....I went to autozone.com and searched for one that will work with a 99 XJ, 4.0, 4WD and like 20 different tranmission oil coolers came up all made by Hayden, which one should I go with? I know B&M sells a kit on Summit.com but Its a lil priceir then the rest at 75+ shipping, while autozone is only 45.99 and I can go next door and pick It up....let me know, thanks guys :wave:

You don't need an optima...they are nice, and I have one, but it is not a requirement for a winch. Your new battery will be fine. Wiring it up isn't too difficult...just make sure you use the proper gauge wire (follow the instructions that come with the winch) 4 gauge is usaully a good bet.

As for the tranny cooler...go out and measure the space you have to put it and buy the biggest one you can get that will physically fit in that spot. In this case bigger is better. The ones from autozone are fine, just get one with a good high GVWR rating.

Well, the reason why some of us run the yellow, or blue top, is the reserve capacity on the battery. Winching puts a lot of strain on your alt, and battery. I ended up frying my alt at Tellico, and drove my rig 400 plus miles on just the battery, the battery fully recovered, and still works great today. I still ended up putting my junk on a trailer, but I think if I would have had 2 batteries I could have made it the last 50 miles home.

Patrick

I would wait more then 3 hours, most people are at work!

For the tranny cooler, I would say if used with the stock cooler anything extra you add will help! I got a medium sized one from Advance Auto, will be installing it tonight.

I know there are a bunch of threads on here about tranny coolers, I hate when people always just say use the search, but there is a lot out there if you look!

pshh, get the B&M kit, $45.99 shipped at JEG's as of a couple of weeks ago when I did mine. Includes all the fittings and brackets you'll need.

http://jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/index.asp

As far as the winch goes, you should be fine. Just bolt it on and wire it up. I installed mine in like 20 minutes before a wheelin trip once. Super easy, just run the cables to the battery and connect them to the terminals. Done.

kubtastic said:
Do you have some method of avoiding the $9.99 handling fee on that item at JEGS?

hadn't noticed it actually. i was also ordering other things besides the cooler when I got mine though.

thanks for the help guys, sorry for the Impatience, I have the net at work and get lonely while others are working hard and Im playing, :laugh3:

Back