• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to mount 35in spare?

JEEPSPEEDRCR

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 XJ and i need somewhere to mount my 35in spare. I would like to keep it inside the cab and keep my rear seat. any ideas or pictures?
thanks

good luck

the only way I have seen it done is to let all the air out

but perhaps someone has done something I didnt find when I did my search on it

JEEPSPEEDRCR said:
I have an 01 XJ and i need somewhere to mount my 35in spare. I would like to keep it inside the cab and keep my rear seat. any ideas or pictures?
thanks
Lay it flat and it might fit. If it doesn't look into notching a bit either into the back of your backseat or the plastic in the lift gate.

It won't lay flat unless you fold down your seat, but you could possibly lean it again the back of your rear seats. Make sure to strap it down though so it doesn't fly back and pop out the glass

The only way to have a 35" spare (inflated) in the back with the backseat folded up is to stand the tire upright. If you lean it against the backseat, the rear passengers will probably hit their heads and/or shoulders on it, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the backseat folded up in the first place... So the tire is going to have to sit vertical, which will will probably have some clearance issues with the rear sound bar in the headliner... and at that point, with the tire sitting upright, taking up most of your cargo space, and completely blocking the view out the back, you might as well go with a rear bumper/tire carrier combo and keep the spare out back. If you're worried about someone stealing it, use a/some locking lugnuts or a bike lock to lock the spare to the carrier.

I think Yuccaman or Yellaheap had a mount made that tilted the tire up in the front and looked pretty cool.

Jeepin Jason said:
The only way to have a 35" spare (inflated) in the back with the backseat folded up is to stand the tire upright. If you lean it against the backseat, the rear passengers will probably hit their heads and/or shoulders on it, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the backseat folded up in the first place... So the tire is going to have to sit vertical, which will will probably have some clearance issues with the rear sound bar in the headliner... and at that point, with the tire sitting upright, taking up most of your cargo space, and completely blocking the view out the back, you might as well go with a rear bumper/tire carrier combo and keep the spare out back. If you're worried about someone stealing it, use a/some locking lugnuts or a bike lock to lock the spare to the carrier.

jason.. i can't believe you took the time to type all that out.

let me recap for jason here: doesn't fit in back unless standing. get a carrier. ;)

9 words.. sweet!

thanks guys, i tried to lean it up on the seat and it sticks in a little and the two outside seats will be fine but i want a different way to mount it in than straps. I also deflated it but it is a good year race tire so it has more plies and i could not get it to sit inside flat.

formatt said:
jason.. i can't believe you took the time to type all that out.

let me recap for jason here: doesn't fit in back unless standing. get a carrier. ;)

9 words.. sweet!

:laugh3: I guess I was in a patient mood or something... :paperwork

xjj33p3r said:
It won't lay flat unless you fold down your seat, but you could possibly lean it again the back of your rear seats. Make sure to strap it down though so it doesn't fly back and pop out the glass

Been there...the only thing holding the back window from falling was the 2 defroster wires! :exclamati

Lockwood took the upholstry off his back seat, and notched the frame out to fit the tire, then reupholstered. It took most of a weekend, but it works, everything fits nice, and its not bad looking.

old_man said:
I think Yuccaman or Yellaheap had a mount made that tilted the tire up in the front and looked pretty cool.
Wasn't me, and I don't think Troy's the one who did it, either. From the length of jason's response though - maybe he has some experience in the matter? :D I've got 32s and that big ol' storage platform in the back, so the spare has to lay flat until such time as the Tire Carrier Fairy leaves a present under my pillow.

This may not be what you want to hear but you can always put it on the roof, tons of people do it this way (myself included until I build a rear carrier) and you have a sturdy/quality rack it will be safe and secure. Plus no giving up any interior space.

xjcrawlr said:
This may not be what you want to hear but you can always put it on the roof, tons of people do it this way (myself included until I build a rear carrier) and you have a sturdy/quality rack it will be safe and secure. Plus no giving up any interior space.

If you wanna huck a 35" tire and wheel on your roof, go for it. And we'll all sit back and have a beer watching you get it off................:cheers:

Jeepin Jason said:
getting the tire off the roof is easy, just push it off the side... it's hefting it up there that's the hard part! haha!

Especially when there is 25# of mud on/in it and your jackman just skulled ya with the hatch.

Jeepin Jason said:
getting the tire off the roof is easy, just push it off the side... it's hefting it up there that's the hard part! haha!

Just hope the flats not on the freeway....watch it bounce across all 5 lanes...

I agree though. I hate getting my 32" BFG off the roof.....rear carrier is coming soon I hope...

Back