• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock length for 6.5" lift?

Stahlgewitter

NAXJA Forum User
Im currently sitting at right about 4" of lift with a 2" BB on top of OME springs, but Im now interested in going to about 6.5" using Rusty's 6.5" front coils, 4.5" rear leaf packs with the RRO 2" lift shackles Im already running, Rock Krawler GenII Long Arms and Rock Krawler Track Bar. With the added lift Im sure Im going to need new shocks, Im just not sure of the length. I know there are plenty of people here running at this height, so please post what shocks you chose and what length you ordered.
I would like to get Bilstein 5100s, but due to budget I may go with the cheaper PORC shocks. Any impressions of either brand?

Also, I realize there is the option of installing the new components then cycling the suspension to measure for shock length, but unfortunately I work a lot and its hard for me to find the down-time to do that. Id rather just take two days off work and install everything at once.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post, just trying to be thorough.

Stahlgewitter said:
Im currently sitting at right about 4" of lift with a 2" BB on top of OME springs, but Im now interested in going to about 6.5" using Rusty's 6.5" front coils, 4.5" rear leaf packs with the RRO 2" lift shackles Im already running, Rock Krawler GenII Long Arms and Rock Krawler Track Bar. With the added lift Im sure Im going to need new shocks, Im just not sure of the length. I know there are plenty of people here running at this height, so please post what shocks you chose and what length you ordered.
I would like to get Bilstein 5100s, but due to budget I may go with the cheaper PORC shocks. Any impressions of either brand?

Also, I realize there is the option of installing the new components then cycling the suspension to measure for shock length, but unfortunately I work a lot and its hard for me to find the down-time to do that. Id rather just take two days off work and install everything at once.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post, just trying to be thorough.
when I was at 6.5" of lift for the front I used pro -comp, 30"extended. If I remember correctly 30" was the longest they made with the stud at the top. for the rear just add a bar-pin eliminater(thats what I did)to your shocks for the 4" lift.Hope that helps, I have those shocks laying around so if you need a better measurment let me know and I'll check in the morning

Last edited:
Great xjoe, thanks for the input. I never thought of extending the rear shocks with BPEs, that should save me some cash. Also were you running short, mid, or long arms the front with the 30" extended shocks? Since I will be running long arms, I am also concerned with shock limiting. I just checked the Bilstein site and I found a set of shocks that measure 11.93/29.70/17.78 (Travel/Open/Close), does this look like a good length?

Stahlgewitter said:
Great xjoe, thanks for the input. I never thought of extending the rear shocks with BPEs, that should save me some cash. Also were you running short, mid, or long arms the front with the 30" extended shocks? Since I will be running long arms, I am also concerned with shock limiting. I just checked the Bilstein site and I found a set of shocks that measure 11.93/29.70/17.78 (Travel/Open/Close), does this look like a good length?
I was running L.A's. If you are gonna be running L.A's, welcome to the world of limiting straps. The specs on that shock look good, but mine at that length were limiting drop, you may not want to use those bilsteins that way. When I was running 6.5" lift(and L.A's)I was still running yj brake lines and when flexed they the brake lines were nearly taunt, so I was ok with the shock being a limiting factor.

i'd say about 4' long in the front and 2.5' long in the rear, thats approx what mine were

Back