• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RockKrawler Rear Suspension

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
I was just reading Petersons 4 Wheel and read an article about the RockKrawler Rear 4 link Suspension on an XJ. I am interested but as I do searches on this I don't seem to come up with anyone who has field tested it except for the TCO guy. I might have read difficulties with anti-squat but I am unsure as to what it means.

Should I consider this as a long term mod? I have an 8.8 too. Will the housing be too thin?

Testing the waters here.

The rear rockkrawler 4 link kit is super BADAZZZ!!!!! I have seen it beat tohell and back with nothing wrong, im not sure where your located but call Joe at Absolute Offroad and he will tell you since hes running one of the first kits of it and dosent treat it like most would.... his number is 602-248-8949

I have to agree.... seriously badass kit. I was SO impressed with it the last time I saw it work. Didnt seem to have any wierd characteristics to it. If you got the cash, do it. I would.

the anti-squat appears to be very high because the link end in the same plane at the body end. this makes the rear want to raise when you hit the throttle and on steep climbs can sometimes create bouncing. I would definitely put a center limiting strap on it with only about 2 inches of slack.

that said, there are many different opinions of how much anti-squat is "right", I would guess their's is about 180%, and I know of a few people who like theirs over 150%. However it seems the majority like 80-120%, and personally, when I link my rear soon I am shooting for 80-90%.

timely thread. I am going to be linking the rear of my rig this winter with coilovers/airshocks into the cargo area. I am more of the build-my-own type though.

SeanP

If I remember correctly from the magazine article...it appears that the roll axis is kinda high. Might handle kinda strange on the hiway.

I also thought the AS% looked a bit high but some like it in that range. I personally think the 80-110% range would be ideal.

T&A-XJ said:
If I remember correctly from the magazine article...it appears that the roll axis is kinda high. Might handle kinda strange on the hiway.

I noticed that too. I figured fabbing a quick-release swaybar on the rear would probably help out a lot.

Now knowing the anti-squat is a possible issue that I might not enjoy, what 'off the shelf' kits would produce an AS% in the, let us say, 90-120% range?

cracker said:
I noticed that too. I figured fabbing a quick-release swaybar on the rear would probably help out a lot.

Now knowing the anti-squat is a possible issue that I might not enjoy, what 'off the shelf' kits would produce an AS% in the, let us say, 90-120% range?
nothing for an XJ. You either need to drop the lowers down, loosing valuable ground clearance, or raise the uppers, requiring cutting the floor. Get the sawzall out and loose some floor.

BrettM said:
nothing for an XJ. You either need to drop the lowers down, loosing valuable ground clearance, or raise the uppers, requiring cutting the floor. Get the sawzall out and loose some floor.

I was actually considering the cutting approach with my buddy today. I was thinking about doing shock mounts up high with drawers for my spare parts (drive line, axle shafts, etc.). I will just expect cutting the floor. No big deal.

I could easily modify the Rockkrawler UCA mounts to be mounted higher. How much higher though?

BrettM said:
I would guess about 4 inches higher, but if you really want to do this, just buy the kit and start playing with the 4link calculator (it's in "Triaged"s sig on Pirate)

Perfect.

Any thought on using my 8.8? Do you think the housing is too thin?

BrettM said:
weld the tubes to the center section, and brace/gusset all the mounts well and it will be fine

Cool. I already have the tubes welded to the center section. I had heard about some guys tearing it up with traction bars and was concerned. I would probably incorporate a pretty large truss into the design as well.

Saved me a $. I had D60 on the brain for a short while.

Last edited:
just like brettM has said play with triaged's 4link calc. I just calced one with the uppers mounted right under the rearseat with 92%AS and 0* roll axis...do some research and save some cash. You will thank yourself on a twisty mountain hiway.

The 8.8 will do fine just build a descent truss/center upper link mount and weld the tubes to the housing, not full circ. though. A few stitches will do best.

finally something that i know nothing about, that's what whe're here for to learn right? So does anyone have any good sites that explain all the terms and how they work? i want to do this someday but i want to know what it is im doing.

Dingo

T&A-XJ said:
The 8.8 will do fine just build a descent truss/center upper link mount and weld the tubes to the housing, not full circ. though. A few stitches will do best.

Oops. Too late. I went full circle. I had it done 7 months ago and then had my axle striaghtened from the minor distortion of the welding.

Back