• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking apart drivers door

maps

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, new to the site. My wife's 99 XJ drivers side window won't go up, thus I know what I am going to be doing this weekend. Does any body have any instructions/hints or pictures on how to take apart the door to get to the window. Oh, it has power windows and she says it makes noise but won't go up. If she pulls it up it just falls back down. Thanks in advance for any/all info.

Just be easy on the clips, and make shure you get all the screws out. There is one behind the door handle. Oh have the wallet stocked up if it's the regulator thy're not cheep. IIRC you have to buy the motor too.

Go to newmoparparts.com and get a new drivers side regulator. I just got one 2 weeks ago for 95.00. Shipping included. It came with the regulator and power motor. Its all one unit. Replacing it took only 15 minutes.

1. Simply remove all 3 screws in door armrest. Then remove the 1 screw by the handle. Then remove the 1 screw by the mirror, upper corner of door panel.

2. Gently start at bottom corner and pry panel out by all the clips. A wide cats paw prying device works best. If not, use a screwdriver. Wide one.

3.Once the entire panel is loose, simply pry out towards the inner door, the 2 plastic clips that hold on the handle rod and lock rod. (use a turning motion) You'll see what I mean when you get a visual on them.

4. Pull both rods straigh up and out of clips.

5. Unplug the 2 power sources from the power mirror and power windows.

6. set panel aside and peel off the inner plastic vapor barrier.

7. Now, take the 2 brass bolts out of the bottom of the window and let window rest in bottom of door. At this point it is off its track. But extremely easy to get back on.

8. Unplug the power motor to the window. Towards the bottom of door. and push the retainer nut into the door.

9. There is another plastic retainer nut up towards the top of the door holding the "motor cable" against the door. Push that into the door as well.

10. Now there are 5 black nuts that hold the regulator and motor in place.
remove those and turn the regulator assembly counterclockwise and pull it out of the large opening. It may take some fiddling. But nothing at all too serious.

The installation of the new regulator and motor is the exact opposite of these instructions. Its a very simple process. Don't even bother attempting to fix the old one. Its impossible. Make sure that when you place the window back on the regulator not to overtighten the brass nuts. and be sure to get the window pane lined up in the window frame track.
Its very simple. Trust me. I did mine in 15 minutes.

Scoobyxj & Bustednutz,

Thanks for the info. I printed the instructions out and will use them tomorrow when I start tearing it apart. I am not an expert with power windows but I am mechanically inclined... but how do I know if it is the regulator or something else?

I got the thing apart tonight and I am going to price it out at the dealership in the A.M. I would like to order on line but my wife needs her truck for the holiday weekend. How long did it take to get it from newmoparparts.com? Thanks for all the help so far.

Got it done this A.M. Stealership hit me $110 out the door. I didn't think that was too bad cause I just wanted to get it done for the holiday weekend. Bustednutz, thanks again your instructions they were spot on.

Back