• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivers window binding?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
On my 4-dr '91 XJ with power nothing (manual windows), the window in the drivers door binds and is extrememly hard to roll up when it get's about an inch and a half from the top or the frame. I haven't had a chance to pull the door panel off and see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me some specific things to look for some I'm not going in blindly? With 3 and a 6 year daughters, time is of the essence. I don't have many opportunites to muck around with this thing.... :laugh3:

Thanks.

you can check the window channel (the groove the glass slides up and down in, in the door) also take a look at the regulator, its a big half sprocket looking thing.....

first before you take the door panel off, try spraying silicon spray in the window cannel if theres nothing blocking it. if the felt rubs off the rubber can grip the glass alittle too well.
take a flat blade screw driver and run it up and down the channel on each side and feel for anything bumpy, or any binds.

after spraying it and cleaning it, if it still binds, take the door panel off, you can roll the window up to where it normally would get stuck and look around there will have to be something that doesnt seem right.

Mine does the same thing, binds up. It sucks, I tried lubing it up by pulling off the panel and spraying all the moving parts with silicone spray. It was great for about 2 months then it started binding again. I haven't resprayed it yet, it's been 6 months, and I broke the plastic cover for the side mirror. I just don't want to pull the dang thing off again. Here I am babling. :wierd:

I don't know any better way to describe the part that moves the window other than it looks like metal rope that slides through a round track. Sometimes the end will get rusty from laying on the bottom of the door (it's supposed to stay in a rubber protective sleeve) and bind up. Mine actually broke off so I can't roll my window all of the way down now. Just my $.02

Yep, I've got the same thing happening too. After some research, it seems that the best thing to do is just get a replacement mechanism. The FSM goes into some detail about getting the things out, so it shouldn't be too bad a job. It also appears that 2 and 4 doors share the same mechanisms, so finding one in a scrapyard shouldn't be too tricky. I've yet to find out whether the electric and manual mechanisms are in some way interchangeable - it would certainly widen the options for us.

ErikL said:
you can check the window channel (the groove the glass slides up and down in, in the door) also take a look at the regulator, its a big half sprocket looking thing.....

I have an '89 and my window regulator was all rusted. My vote is you need a new regulator.

Back