• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STUCK IN SECOND GEAR! ( auto)

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
Bought another 96 a few weeks ago as a daily driver, seemed fine then I start to drive it today and it stayed in second all the time no matter what the shifter is in 1, 2 or 3 the tranny is in second.Reverse is fine though. It starts out in second and never shifts up. I done some searching and alot suggested changing to TPS so I swapped it off my other 96 no change. Any suggestions, I guess it's good I have another 96 to try parts from. Do you think it could be the tranny it self? it was working perfectly until this.

It could be bad solenoids in the tranny, but I doubt it. I'd first try uplugging the TCM (behind the dash, under the glove box) and leaving it unplugged for a few hours and try again. Then check the wires on that harness, at a stop you should have about 12 volts at C16 and nothing at C15 and C14.

There's a good explanation of how the solinoids are energized and pictures of the connector here:

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm

The article shows how to lock the transmition in 2nd. Isn't that a strange coinsidence. :)

Your transmission is in the "default" mode- it is working as it is supposed to. There is a sensor signal missing or a Wiring issue- the TCU is probabaly fine. Do you have any fault codes? Not sure if the on-off-on-off-on and count the flashes works for your year.

Not sure if you have figured it out, but I have an 89 with the AW4 and if the TPS so much as gets a drip of water on it, it gets stuck in 1st gear. It's happened several times. But mine was always the TPS. I had a buddy that is a mechanic look at it the first time and we put it up on stands and he pretty much floored it and it shifted at redline every time. Apparently thats how he finds out if its a tranny or electrical. You may try it if you dare, if nothing else it will ease your mind about a rebuild or just a sensor somewhere.

Back