• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedliner floor in XJ?'s

GREEN XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if you sprayed a spray in bedliner if it cuts down on the heat from the tranny. Wet, stinky carpet had to go and was thinking of putting a spray in bedliner. I don't really care about it cutting down on noise.

I did not use the spray on liner but went with the herculiner kit that you do your self. It was only about 100 dollars and it covered the floor fro the front and back seats and the rocker panels on the outside. doesnt do much for the heat. but I had the same problemof wet carpet. the stuff works great. but you will want to drill a couple of holes and put in a removeable plug to drain water.

GREEN XJ said:
I was wondering if you sprayed a spray in bedliner if it cuts down on the heat from the tranny. Wet, stinky carpet had to go and was thinking of putting a spray in bedliner. I don't really care about it cutting down on noise.

Rhino.
No.

Rev

GREEN XJ said:

I have now heard of several people passing out from bedliner fumes, and balling up their trucks on the highway. One of these I have first-hand knowledge of.

If you are going to do this rather silly mod, please allow the rig to air out and de-gas for a month or more before you drive it.

Xylene and tuolene fumes will knock your ass out in hurry, especially when they are warmed by a nice hot auto tranny.

Buy the rubber floor liner kit from JC Whitney, quieter, more durable, and very easy to clean. It's my choice.

I wasnt going to say anything , but changed my mind, I will vouch for what crash says, IF I was going to do this again IMHO bedliner sucks as a floor choice, two weeks ago what should have been a nice weekend of wheeling turned in to an endurance contest (I lost big time) with a visit to the doctor and some down time for heat exhaustion, last weekend I began re- insulating the her'ced floor - after a test ride, the uninsulated side of the tranny hump was holding at about 120 degrees, the insulated side was a little more bearable 85, (closer to stock) this friday I finish the job, only difference will be I will be able to take this out and dry it out if it gets wet....bedliner is not a good idea, btdt...nuff said . :lecture:

Last edited:
Hmmm....

My floor gets warm, hot sometimes, but the majority of the heat was the floor over the cat and muffler, heat shields fixed that. I do get some heat from the tranny...but not that bad, maybe due to the manual. I did have a little "gassing" when it was 1st done....many years ago, but after a few days it was gone. The only thing I have noticed is before I installed the heat shileds the Rhino would get really hot and start to melt, when it did, it smelled exactlly like carmel cooking.

I would stand behind Rhino (ONLY RHINO) for a floor, providing you are willling to accept more noise and heat. Mine was a DD for many years with this floor, and for me, it was not a big deal.

Now that it is not a DD, and has no roof, the Rhino is a lifesaver.

JMHO...YMMV

Rev

My buddy and I both run Herculined Cherokees and here's what we've done. We both had a bit of a rust problem, so the floors needed work and the carpets were soaked. We herc'd the metal after all the metal work was done and allowed it to dry thoroughly. I've never had any problems of fumes, I did it in the spring and was able to drive with the windows down. I have the AX-15 trans which doesn't get that hot but still the trans tunnel and firewall would heat up. What i decided to do was to pull off the insulation from my carpet, dry it out really well, and cut it so that it could be re-installed into the jeep without having to remove the seats or any trim. It cuts down on a lot of the heat and a ton of the noise. I did run without the carpet for almost a year and it wasn't unbearable but very warm. I did get used to the added noise level but putting the carpet back in helped a lot. If anyone would like more info on how to cut your carpet drop me a PM and i'll help you out.

spray the interior with one of POR 15 hardnose paints or the chasis coat, then put a reflective heat mat on your hot spots and a heat shield over the muffler and get a rubber or vynal mat.

As a side question not to jack but i heard bad fitment issues with ACC mats, does anyone have an opion on what fits nice ?

Back