• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problem?

Kreutz

NAXJA Forum User
When I park on a slight incline, it ('90 xj 4.0L 4wd auto) wants to roll backwards sometimes. So, I always use the emergency brake. Does this sound like the tranny or a brake problem? If it is the tranny, can it be fixed or will I have to rebuild the whole thing? I'm not having any other problems with it shifting or anything, except sometimes I have to pull really hard on the shifter to get it out of park. It's always been this way (since i've owned it - 2yrs.). Any suggestions? Thanks!

how far backwards are we talking just a couple of inches or does it seem like "park" is not engaging? X2

I don't know. I've never let it go but a couple of inches, because I can hear something clicking. It kind of rolls and tries to stop, but it can't hold , so it rolls again a coulple of inches and so on. So, it's not just rolling, it is trying to hold. Hope that makes sense.

You have a transmission problem. Either the linkage is out of adjustment and you
are not getting all the way into park or the pin that locks up the tranny in park is worn or broken, I'd say worn. Check the linkage, if that is adjusted properly then it's off to the repair shop.

This is from the '93 FSM hope this helps.

SHIFT LINKAGE
AW-4
1) Place gearshift lever in Park and raise vehicle. Using a
small screwdriver, unlock shift control cable by releasing "U" shaped
cable adjuster clamp. Remove cable from mounting bracket.
2) Move transmission shift lever rearward until fully seated
into Park detent. Ensure that drive shaft cannot be rotated. Snap
control cable into cable mounting bracket and replace "U" shaped cable
adjuster clamp. Lower vehicle and verify engine starting. Engine
should start only with shifter in Park or Neutral.

Back